Annie and Clarabel are Thomas' faithful coaches, whom he loves dearly and would never dream of being separated from them.
Annie and Clarabel both have seating accommodation for carrying passengers; Clarabel also has a brake compartment for luggage and a guard. The two coaches are nearly always seen coupled together, with Annie usually facing Thomas and Clarabel facing backwards.
The Railway Series
Annie and Clarabel were given to Thomas in 1925 when he was given his branch line. They operate as a push-pull set. They have had several adventures, such as losing their guard and becoming runaways and traveled with Percy through bad weather. Clarabel once derailed on a set of trap points when Thomas slipped on some oily rails and had to be helped by Diesel.
Thomas & Friends
Thomas met Annie and Clarabel for the first time when he thought they were the Express Coaches. He apologised and introduced himself, leaving Annie and Clarabel impressed. At that time, they were often pulled by James. When Thomas received his branch line after rescuing James, the two coaches were given to him to use.
At times when Thomas is away, James, Percy, Toby, Duck, Rosie, Stanley, Emily, Nia, Rosie (unseen), Albert and Ryan have all taken his place to pull them. Emily and Neville have both taken them not knowing they were Thomas' coaches and Caitlin has once taken them without realising they were coupled to her own coaches and Flying Scotsman saved them. Ashima, Daisy, Diesel and Clark have also pulled them.
Thomas and the Magic Railroad
In the film, after Thomas met Junior and Lily the two agreed to help and together to find Mr. Conductor at the Windmill, he told Annie and Clarabel that Percy will pick them up, leaving Annie and Clarabel behind stating that they have heard that before.
Annie and Clarabel are respectful to all of the engines, but most of all Gordon and Thomas. The only exception to this is Daisy, who they respect least of all for insulting them and Henrietta. They show a kind and caring side to everyone on the railway. However, despite their kindness and sweetness, they can be stern when needed, especially Annie. For instance, they scolded Thomas for teasing Gordon after his accident, although they are no saints themselves. Once when Daisy was rude to them, they naughtily tricked her into thinking there was something wrong with her which caused confusion and delay. When the Fat Controller found out he told them that two wrongs do not make a right and that he expected better from both of them. Annie and Clarabel are best friends, but like all friends, sometimes they fall out. Despite this, they always try to make things right in the end.
In The Railway Series, Annie and Clarabel are a pair of bogie coaches (i.e. each coach is supported on a pair of four-wheeled bogies or "trucks"). As currently illustrated, they appear similar to LMS Suburban Coaches. In the 1987 annual, Christopher Awdry implies the pair were likely built in the early twentieth century on the Mainland and that they were possibly six-wheeled designs. Sometime after being brought to Sodor, their bodies were lengthened, placed on bogie frames and upgraded with electric lighting.
In the television series, Annie and Clarabel are based on LBSC Stroudley Coaches built between the early 1870s and late 1880s. Several coaches of this type are preserved on the Bluebell Railway and the Isle of Wight Steam Railway. Aurora, Ariel, Anna, An An and Yin-Long share the same basis. In the first series, several other coaches share the same basis as Annie and Clarabel.
In The Railway Series, Annie and Clarabel were originally painted orange-brown and were later painted brown with a yellow stripe.
In the CGI Series, their liveries are a more vibrant orange. In Thomas' imagination where he gets streamlined in The Great Race, Annie and Clarabel are repainted in NWR blue with a white stripe near the bottom and a thicker white stripe with red borders near the top.
In the magazine story, Thomas, Terence and the Snow, Annie and Clarabel were coloured greenish-grey.
- Thomas the Tank Engine - Thomas and the Breakdown Train (cancelled)
- James the Red Engine - James and the Top-Hat (cancelled)
- Tank Engine Thomas Again - Thomas and the Guard, Thomas Goes Fishing (do not speak), Thomas, Terence and the Snow and Thomas and Bertie
- Troublesome Engines - Tenders and Turntables (do not speak), Trouble in the Shed (cancelled) and Percy Runs Away (mentioned)
- Henry the Green Engine - Coal (do not speak)
- Toby the Tram Engine - Thomas in Trouble (mentioned), Dirty Objects (mentioned) and Mrs. Kyndley's Christmas
- Gordon the Big Engine - Down the Mine
- Percy the Small Engine - Percy's Promise (do not speak)
- The Eight Famous Engines - The Fat Controller's Engines (not seen)
- The Twin Engines - The Missing Coach (do not speak)
- Branch Line Engines - Thomas Comes to Breakfast (mentioned), Daisy and Percy's Predicament (mentioned)
- Stepney the "Bluebell" Engine - Stepney's Special (cameo)
- Main Line Engines - Wrong Road (cancelled)
- Tramway Engines - Ghost Train (mentioned), Woolly Bear (cameo) and Mavis (cancelled)
- Really Useful Engines - Stop Thief! (do not speak)
- More About Thomas the Tank Engine - Thomas, Percy and the Coal (mentioned), The Runaway, Better Late Than Never (do not speak) and Drip Tank (cancelled)
- Thomas and the Twins - Scrambled Eggs (mentioned)
- Thomas and the Great Railway Show - Museum-Piece (cameo)
- Thomas Comes Home - Snow Problem (mentioned), Washout! (do not speak), Toby's Megatrain (cancelled) and Thomas Comes Home (do not speak)
- Wilbert the Forest Engine - Foaming at the Funnel (cameo)
- Thomas and the Fat Controller's Engines - Rabbits (do not speak)
- Thomas and Victoria - Overloaded (cameo) and Toby's Vintage Train (do not speak)
- Thomas and his Friends - Thomas and the Swan (do not speak) and Centenary (cameo)
- 1972 - The Railway Series: Surprise Packet
- 1976 - Famous Engines and Railway Map of the Island of Sodor (cameo)
- 1983 - Bertie the Bus and Thomas the Tank Engine
- 1984 - Thomas the Tank Engine and the Tractor, Thomas's Christmas Party (cancelled) and Thomas the Tank Engine: The Complete Collection
- 1986 - Thomas the Tank Engine Goes Fishing and Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree (cancelled)
- 1987 - The Island of Sodor: Its People, History and Railways (mentioned) and Thomas and the Evil Diesel (cancelled)
- 1992 - Thomas and the Hurricane (do not speak)
- 1995 - The Thomas the Tank Engine Man and Thomas the Tank Engine Catches a Thief
- 2005 - Sodor: Reading Between the Lines (mentioned)
- 2007 - Thomas the Tank Engine: The New Collection
Thomas & Friends
- 1992 - Thomas and the U.K. Trip (cameo)
- 2000 - Thomas and the Magic Railroad
- 2003 - Big World! Big Adventures!
- 2005 - Calling All Engines! (do not speak)
- 2008 - The Great Discovery (do not speak)
- 2009 - Hero of the Rails (cameo)
- 2012 - Blue Mountain Mystery
- 2013 - King of the Railway
- 2014 - Tale of the Brave and Sodor's Legend of the Gold Mine
- 2015 - The Adventure Begins, The Adventure Continues and Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure
- 2016 - The Great Race
- 2017 - Journey Beyond Sodor and The Castle Beyond Sodor
- 2020 - Engines on a Mission
- 1985 - Percy to the Rescue (do not speak), Thomas and the Important Visitor (do not speak) and Unhappy Landing (do not speak)
- 1987 - Signal Failure (do not speak) and Lost in the Snow (do not speak)
- 1988 - Thomas and Trevor and Terence Turns Pot Hunter (cancelled)
- 1989 - The Trouble with Sheep (cancelled)
- 1990 - Thomas and the Cricketers (do not speak)
- 1991 - Thomas and the Sunday School Outing (do not speak)
- 1992 - Percy and the Vicar's Prizes (do not speak) and Thomas and the Swans (cameo)
- 1993 - Thomas and the Snow Block (do not speak)
- 1994 - Thomas and the Tickles (mentioned)
- 1995 - The Picnic Express (mentioned), Oliver's Sparkler (cameo) and Thank You, Thomas and Toby (cancelled)
- 1996 - The Wrong Shirt (mentioned) and Pantomime Pranks (mentioned)
- 1998 - Engines to the Rescue (do not speak) and The Star of the Show (do not speak)
- 1999 - Blooming Railways (cancelled) and Toby Saves the Day (do not speak)
- 2000 - Slow Down, Thomas! (do not speak), Thomas the Famous Engine (do not speak) and Buzzing Bees! (cancelled)
- 2001 - Very Special Engines (cameo) and Thomas the Famous Engine (cameo)
- 2002 - A Special Day for Thomas, "That's the Way to Do It!" (do not speak) and Percy's Dream (do not speak)
- 1987 - Hello, Thomas!, Thomas and the Breakdown Train (do not speak) and Thomas, Terence and the Snow
- 1988 - Thomas and Harold (mentioned), Thomas and the Guard, Thomas Goes Fishing, Thomas and Bertie, Tenders and Turntables (mentioned), Trouble in the Shed (cancelled), Percy Runs Away (cancelled), Coal (mentioned), A Late Start for Thomas, Thomas Down the Mine, Thomas, Percy and the Coal, The New Coaches, Thomas and the Horse (cancelled), The Runaway, Better Late Than Never (do not speak), Daisy, Percy's Night Out (cancelled), A Bump on the Line and Thomas's Christmas (cancelled)
- 1989 - Fire (cancelled), An Important Visitor, Clearing Up (mentioned), Clarabel's New Friend, A Surprise for Thomas (do not speak), Thomas and the Cyclist (cameo) and A Fishy Smell
- 1990 - Thomas and the Umbrella (mentioned), Thomas For Sale and Emergency!
- 1991 - Picnic Surprise (cancelled)
- 1992 - All Aboard! (cancelled) and Lost and Found! (cancelled)
- 1993 - Keeping Cool! (mentioned), The Wedding Engine! (do not speak) and Thomas and the Lamps
- 1994 - A Special Treat for Thomas (cameo), The New Station, The Nature Bus! (cameo), Thomas Keeps a Secret! (mentioned) and Puffing Pots! (cancelled)
- 1995 - Special Signal! (cancelled), Percy has Problems (cancelled) and Thomas and the Missing Whistle
- 1996 - Flag Waving!, Important Passengers! (do not speak), The Thomas Kart!, Monkey Business! (cancelled), Sunday Schedule! (cancelled), A Day at the Beach! (cancelled), The Little Line (cancelled), Play Time! (cameo) and The Play Train! (mentioned)
- 1997 - Diesel Becomes a Coach, Annie and Clarabel, Carrying Coal! (cancelled), Percy's Promise (do not speak) and Bobbing About! (do not speak)
- 1998 - Potty Parrot! (cameo), The Red Squirrel! (cancelled), Thomas and Bertie!, The Carnival! (cameo), The Exhibition! (cancelled), The Greenhouse Bus! (cancelled), Billy's Bones! (cameo) and Oliver (cancelled)
- 2000 - Turntable Bridge! (cancelled), Back to Front! (cancelled) and Henrietta's Holiday (cancelled)
- 2001 - The Eyesight Test (cancelled), Choc-o-BoCo! (cancelled), Thomas Chimes In (cancelled), Three Tins of Smoke (cancelled), Dusty Diesel and Rolling Around! (cancelled)
- 2002 - The Winning Shot (cancelled), Time Trouble! (cameo), The Flower Festival (cancelled), In the Picture (Annie only; cameo), Dusty Diesel (cancelled) and Road Wreckers (cancelled)
- 2003 - Super Heroes!, Seaside Search! (cancelled), Surprise, Surprise! (cancelled), A Foggy Friend (cameo), The Boatshow (cancelled), Cruise Control! (cancelled), Really Fast Food! (cameo), Trevor and Thomas (cancelled), Feeding Time (cancelled), Where's Wag? (cancelled), Happy and Sad (cameo), Frozen Engine (cancelled), Cat Got the Cream! (cancelled), Milk and Motors! (cancelled), Thomas Goes Squeak! (cancelled) and Animals (cancelled)
- 2004 - Going for a Swim! (cancelled), Special Signal (cancelled), Holiday Train (cancelled), Holiday Hat (cancelled), Bertie and the Race (cancelled), Disgusted Diesels (cancelled), Thomas' New Coaches (cancelled), It's Only Snow! (cameo), Rock Shock! (cameo), Scary Jack Frost (cameo), Place to Play (cancelled), Night Lights (cancelled), Double Trouble! (cancelled) and The Talking Horse (cancelled)
- 2005 - Slide and Ride, Really Useful Coaches, Grand Old Duke (cameo), Tidy-Up Time! (cancelled), Chickens to School (cancelled), Thomas Saves the Day (cameo), The Dinosaur (cancelled) and As Good as Gordon (cancelled)
- 2006 - Toby Feels Left Out (cameo), Thomas, Emily, and the Snowplow (cancelled), Percy's New Whistle (cancelled), Thomas and the New Engine (cancelled), Tunnel Trouble (cancelled) and Disgusted Diesels (cancelled)
- 2007 - Yacht Race (cancelled), Surprise Visitor (cameo), Rocky Ride, Sleepy Sam (cameo), Seeing the Sights (cameo), Look and Hook (cancelled) and Big Day Out (cameo)
- 2008 - Mystery Music and A Spring Clean! (cancelled)
- 2009 - Thomas Saves the Day, Spring Special (cancelled) and Spring Time Special (cancelled)
- 2010 - Story Train, Christmas Dinner Diner (cancelled), Surprise Visitor (cameo), Henry Gets It Wrong! (cameo), Seeing Sheep! (cancelled), Emily's Lucky Day (cancelled), Saving Santa! (cancelled), Play Time (cameo), Halloween Hats (cancelled), Twin Trees! (cancelled) and Disgusted Diesels (cancelled)
- 2011 - Jitters and Japes (cameo), Time For a Story (cancelled), Musical Trucks (cameo), The Glow Train (cancelled), The Flying Teapot (cancelled), Strawberry Special (cameo), Clowning Around (cancelled), The Glow Engine (cancelled) and Tidy Thomas (cancelled)
- 2012 - Making Annie Smile, Story Time with Thomas (cancelled), Double Trouble (cancelled), Smiles All Round, Bird Watch (cancelled), Team Spirit Time! (cancelled), The Fat Controller's Bedtime Story (Issue 647) (cancelled), Going Rusty (cancelled), City of Truro (cameo), Thomas and the Sound of Sodor (cancelled), Percy the Snowman (cancelled) and Prize Guys (cancelled)
- 2013 - Play Time (cancelled), Time For a Story (cancelled), Too Many Fire Engines! (cancelled), Gordon Runs Dry (cancelled), All in a Day's Rescue, Bulgy's Back (cancelled), Platform Number 1! (cancelled) and Henrietta's Holiday (cancelled)
- 2014 - Thomas Takes a Shortcut (cancelled), Valentine's Surprise (cancelled), The Royal Carriage (cancelled), No More Mr. Nice Engine (cancelled), The Afternoon Tea Express (cancelled), Not Now, Charlie! (cancelled) and Speedy Steamies (do not speak)
- 2015 - Old Reliable Edward (cameo), No 'I' in Team, Emily Saves the World (cameo), Silent Puffing! (cancelled) and Not Now, Charlie! (cancelled)
- 2016- Who's Geoffrey? (cameo) and Speedy Steamies (do not speak)
- 2017 - Emily Saves the World (cameo), Not Now, Charlie! (cancelled) and Speedy Steamies (do not speak)
Annie and Clarabel also appeared in the magazine stories, An Old Friend, Bulgy's Dream, Catch!, Christmas Puddings, Clever Carriages, Clever Clarabel!, Clowning Around, Daisy and the Troublesome Trucks, Diesel Causes Delay, Dressing Up, Fast Food!, Feeding Time, Holiday Havoc!, Lights On, Looking Splendid, Night Lights, Party Time!, Percy gets Wet!, Pot Luck!, Problem Passenger, Really Important Luggage, Road and Rails, Santa Special, Slick Trick!, Special Passengers, The Best Bridge, The Brown Bear, The Craft Show!, The Flying Broomstick, The Hallowe'en Special, The Huge Horses!, The Open Top Bus, The Posh Coaches, The Trainspotters and Thomas Gets Delayed.
- 1986 - Thomas Goes to Town
- 1990 - Catch Me, Catch Me! (do not speak)
- 1993 - Learn with Thomas
- 1997 - Thomas and Bertie
- 1999 - Thomas the Really Useful Engine
- 2001 - Thomas on the Moon (do not speak) and A Crack in the Track
- 2002 - 5 Useful Engines (cameos) and Thomas Gets His Own Branch Line (do not speak)
- 2003 - Thomas (cancelled), Toby, Terence (do not speak) and Thomas and Toby (do not speak)
- 2004 - Percy (do not speak)
- 2005 - Emily, Bertie, Diesel (do not speak) and Go, Train, Go! (cameos)
- 2006 - Annie and Clarabel, Blue Train, Green Train and May the Best Engine Win! (do not speak)
- 2007 - Neville (do not speak) and The Fat Controller (mentioned)
- 2008 - Valentine's Day in Vicarstown, Jeremy (cameos) and At the Crossing (do not speak)
- 2010 - Easter in Harwick, Charlie, Thomas to the Rescue, The Snowy Surprise (cameos) and Christmas in Wellsworth
- 2012 - Blue Mountain Mystery (cancelled)
- 2015 - The Story of Thomas the Tank Engine (cameos) and Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure (cancelled)
- 2016 - Thomas (do not speak), Percy, Emily (cancelled), Toby (cameos), The Great Race (cancelled) and Thomas Counts on Christmas (cameos)
- 2017 - Diesel, Charlie, Thomas and Bertie's Race, Thomas Goes Crash! (cameos), Thomas' New Friend (do not speak), Thomas' Trusty Wheels (cameos) and The Snowy Surprise (do not speak)
- 2018 - Trouble on the Tracks, The Great Rescue, A Day at the Football (cancelled) and Big World! Big Adventures! (cameos)
- 2020 - Best Birthday Ever! (cameos) and Thomas the Hero (cameos)
- 2021 - Thomas and the Leprechaun (cameos) and Thomas and the Robot (cameos)
- 2020 - Return to Sodor (do not speak), Happy Birthday Thomas!, The Story of Percy the Small Engine (do not speak), The Story of Rebecca the Happy Engine (do not speak), Big World! Big Adventures! (do not speak), Who's Geoffrey?, The Story of Emily the Clever Engine (do not speak), Not So Slow Coaches, Reds vs Blues, The Other Side of the Mountain, Thomas and the Dinosaurs (do not speak), Sidney Sings and Santa's Little Engine
- Annie and Clarabel were the first official female characters created by the Rev W. Awdry and as such, are the first female characters of the entire series.
- They are both the only coaches and the only female characters to appear in every series.
- They are the first characters in the series without grey faces.
- The Hero of the Rails intro shows Annie and Clarabel with bogie wheels as seen in the Railway Series.
- Annie and Clarabel's models used to be on display at Nitrogen Studios but are now on display at Hara Model Railway Museum in Japan.
- Early illustrations of Annie show her shocked face and this was carried on to later illustrations and most merchandise. This is likely intentional for easier identification. Even Hornby both had Annie and Clarabel models with smiling faces originally. This phased out in 2018, though it only applies to Mattel-produced items.
- As of the twenty-second series, Annie and Clarabel are the only non-human twin characters who are both still voiced by the same actress.
- Annie and Clarabel are the only sentient rolling stock to appear in every series of the television series. Henrietta had appeared in every series as well, but her streak ended when she was absent in the twenty-third series.
- A real coach based on the television series version of Clarabel (a former LNER "Sunshine" coach) has been put into service at the Llangollen Railway in North Wales.
- Originally, there were plans to give Annie and Clarabel 3D grey faces similar to the engines in the twelfth series, as it would be easier to animate. During the production of said series, they were referred to as Annabel and Clarabelle.
- Their original television series models were built from Tenmille Stroudley coach kits.
- Bachmann HO models of Annie and Clarabel appeared in the 2015 Marvel film "Ant-Man", along with models of Thomas and Emily's Coaches.
- In the French version of the Model Series, Annie and Clarabel were known as Annette and Claudette.
- Several merchandise items and CGI promos of Clarabel lack her guard compartment.
- Up until the debut of the Slip Coaches in the eighteenth series, Harold, Annie and Clarabel were the only characters with embedded faces ever since that practice had phased out.
- Clarabel's eyes are slightly further apart than Annie's - her nose is slightly broader as well.
- “Oh come along, we're rather late! Oh come along, we're rather late!"
"We're coming along! We're coming along!”
- ―Thomas, Annie and Clarabel singing, Thomas and the Guard, first series
"Nor will I!”
Annie: It's time to go!”
- ERTL (normal, miniatures and Gold Rail; all discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (normal, celebration and Light Up and Reveal; all discontinued)
- Wood (redesigned in 2019)
- Take Along (separately or together; discontinued)
- Take-n-Play (separately or together; discontinued)
- Collectible Railway
- Minis (Annie: Classic, Pop Art, Stylin' Steamies, On the Farm and Camping; Clarabel: Classic)
- Motor Road and Rail (with Thomas; normal; discontinued outside Asia; gold and metallic only in Asia)
- TrackMaster (discontinued)
- Push Along
- Motorized Railway
- My First Thomas (discontinued)
- Bachmann (cancelled)
- Hornby (cancelled)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- Thomas Engine Collection Series (cancelled)
- Mini Die Cast Collection (discontinued)
- Departing Now (discontinued)
- Tomix Trains
- De Agostini (discontinued)
- Limited Edition Collection
- Capsule Plarail (cancelled)
- Mini Mini Plarail (cancelled)
- Puka-Q (cancelled)
- Pocket Fantasy (discontinued)
- Boss (discontinued)
- Brio (discontinued)
- Mega Bloks (discontinued)
- Discover Junction
- Lionel Trains
- Nakayoshi (discontinued)
- Choro-Q (discontinued)
- IR Thomas (discontinued)
- New Block
- Pre-Cut Model Engine Books (cancelled)
- Adventures (cancelled)
- Waku Waku (discontinued)
- FELTKids (discontinued)