The Berk Steamworks is a large repair company that specialises in fixing steam engines. It is situated along the Main Line at Crovan's Gate. It replaced The Works at the start of Hero of the Rails. The Steamworks is accessible and used by the steam engines on both the Southern and Kaigo Railways. All of the essential components for steam locomotives are kept and made here. Heavy overhauls are also carried out here. Victor and Monty both live and work here at the Berk Steamworks.
The company's logo consists of a chimney with steam coming out and is surrounded by a large cog wheel. Victor, Monty, numerous rolling stock, vehicles and staff uniforms, all have this logo on their livery and appearance.
Equipment at the Berk Steamworks
- Transfer Table with dual gauge tracks
- Forge with a steam hammer
- Boiler Shop
- Machinery Area with lathes
- Painting Area
- Hot-Air Blowers
- Locomotive Hoist
- Inspection Pit
- Assembly Area with standard gauge and narrow gauge railway lines
- Storage Shed outside the Steamworks for Monty and Victor to sleep at night
- Coal hopper on the side of the building
Whilst Hero of the Rails was being developed, David Eves came up with the creation of the Berk Steamworks as one of his last contributions. The idea was luckily accepted by the writers and the new animators.
- as one of his last contributions. The idea was luckily accepted by the writers and the new animators.
- Although it is titled the Berk Steamworks, diesel engines have been repaired there before.
- , diesel engines have been repaired there before.
- Its Railway Series equivalent is The Works.
- The Berk Steamworks has had numerous modifications throughout the years:
- Series 13:
- The area around the transfer table was brown in the episodes; The Ivor of Berk, Tickled Pink and The Early Bird).
- Series 18:
- The turntable gains narrow gauge track running to the original.
- The narrow-gauge track has been re-positioned by a few feet, now leading onto the turntable and the buffers were removed. On the opposite side of the turntable, a set of narrow gauge points are added, also leading onto the turntable.
- The centre track in doorway three now runs right out the back of the building instead of stopping at buffers, also the perpendicular storage tracks now disappeared.