Brewsteris a British hybrid diesel. He is an advanced trainee.He is one of the main characters in the series.
Brewster is a young trainee who always likes to make sure everything is working okay, by always saying "Check". This can slow him down, but he is strong, capable and reliable!
Brewster is based on the BR Class 23 Steel Mill logistics locomotive. He is also based on the BR Class 55, nicknamed 'Deltic', though being much smaller, having a Bo-Bo wheel arrangement. Brewster has only one cab, but real Class 23s have two cabs.
- He seems to admire Gordon.
- He loves saying 'Check' to make sure his task is always according to plan.
- Brewster is called Bastian in the German version, Rotem (רותם) in Hebrew, and Bruno in Latin America, Brazil, Poland, France and Italy.
- Brewster's catchphrase is "Honking horns". In German, he says "Ach du dicke Lok", which literally means "Oh you fat engine" (Which is a pun on the german phrase "Ach du dickes Ei" which literally means "Oh you fat egg"). In Hebrew, he says "צופרים אדירים" (Tzofarim Adirim, "Great horns"), and in Polish "Na świst pary" ("On the whizz of steam", a catchphrase he shares with Old Puffer Pete).
- His hobby is "people spotting", i.e. spotting humans do things that he has not seen them do before.
- Vee admires Brewster, especially in the badge quest episode "Who do you appreciate", and vise versa.
- Brewster is the only chugger to have a landmark named after him, named [Bridge|Brewster Bridge].
- Even if he is the only trainee that’s pure diesel, both the Class 23 and Class 55, on which he is based, are diesel electric.