Captain is a brave motorised lifeboat. He is part of the Search and Rescue Team.
Thomas & Friends
When Thomas got lost on Misty Island, he helped in the search for him by talking the Fat Controller to search by sea, and later brought Jobi logs for the construction for the Sodor Search and Rescue Centre.
When Stephen went missing, Captain, along with the rest of the Search and Rescue Team, went to look for him.
Once, Emily accidentally lost her special globe of the world to the sea, but luckily, Captain was there to help push the globe to Cranky, so he could lift it back onto Emily's flatbed.
In the nineteenth series, Captain was eager to assist in the rescues of Henry and, later, Rocky, but was unable to assist due to the accidents occurring far from the water. He, along with the rest of the Search and Rescue Team, then responded to an emergency at Brendam Docks.
In the twentieth series, he, along with Harold, were called upon to find the Fat Controller and Skiff, after the rail boat went off to sea without his captain in search of a mermaid. They found the two on a small beach near Bluff's Cove, were Captain rescued them and then escorted them back to Arlesburgh Harbour.
Captain is a lifeboat who resides at the Sodor Search and Rescue Centre in his own small shed, ready, willing, and always on hand raring for action in case of an emergency. He can easily be dispatched from his shed by means of a slipway, but often resides in the small dock at the Search and Rescue Centre too. Being a lifeboat, Captain knows that duty may call out at sea to help and rescue anyone at any time. He takes this role seriously and is highly assertive, confident, and is unfazed in the face of daring, dangerous missions, but is not made ostentatious or egotistical by his important responsibilities. He is level-headed, always knows what has to be done, and shows good leadership skills. Despite this, some eager unnessasary deployments are covered as practice runs by him.
Captain is based on an ex-Royal National Lifeboat Institution twin engined Liverpool-class Lifeboat. These originated in 1931 as a single engine design, with the twin engined version being built from 1945 to 1954. The class lasted in service until 1982, when "The Chieftain" was withdrawn from Barmouth Lifeboat Station. Unlike most Liverpools, which were carriage launched, Captain is launched from a slipway. Numerous examples of this class are preserved.
Captain's cab is painted yellow, his sides are blue, and his hull is red. He is lined in white. He has a long, thin, yellow mast at the stern of his body.
Thomas & Friends
- Series 14 - Henry's Health and Safety (cameo), Being Percy (cameo) Jumping Jobi Wood! (does not speak) and Merry Misty Island
- Series 15 - Toby and Bash (cameo), Edward the Hero (cameo), James to the Rescue (cameo), Happy Hiro (cameo), Let it Snow (cameo), Stuck on You and Fiery Flynn (cameo)
- Series 16 - Race to the Rescue (cameo), Express Coming Through (does not speak), Welcome Stafford (cameo) and The Christmas Tree Express (cameo)
- Series 18 - Emily Saves the World
- Series 19 - Rocky Rescue and Wild Water Rescue (not named; does not speak)
- Series 20 - Skiff and the Mermaid
- Series 23 - Steam Team to the Rescue!
He may appear in the twenty-fourth series.
- 2010 - Misty Island Rescue
- 2011 - Day of the Diesels (cameo)
- 2013 - King of the Railway (does not speak)
- 2015 - Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure (does not speak)
- 2016 - The Great Race (fantasy)
- 2018 - Big World! Big Adventures!
- Misty Island Rescue - Misty Island Rescue
- Day of the Diesels - Day of the Diesels
- Series 15 - Hear the Engines Coming
- King of the Railway - Searching Everywhere and It's Gonna be a Great Day
- Thomas' YouTube World Tour - A World Around You
- Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure - We Make Team a Together
- Big World! Big Adventures! - Where in the World is Thomas?
- 2010 - Misty Island Rescue (cameo)
- 2011 - Misty Island Rescue (cameo)
- 2012 - Making Hiro Happy (cameo), Stuck On You (speaks in speech bubble only), and The Fat Controller's Bedtime Story (Issue 647)
- 2013 - Toby to the Rescue and All in a Day's Rescue
- 2015 - Emily Saves the World (does not speak)
- 2017 - Emily Saves the World (does not speak)
- Keith Wickham (UK/US)
- Christoffer Staib (Norway; Misty Island Rescue - fifteenth series)
- Kentaro Hayami (Japan; Misty Island Rescue theatrical version only)
- Hidenari Ugaki (Japan; Misty Island Rescue DVD onwards, excluding Big World! Big Adventures!)
- Nozomu Sasaki (Japan; Big World! Big Adventures! only)
- Walter Wigand (Germany; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- Cezary Kwiecinski (Poland; Misty Island Rescue - fifteenth series)
- Jacek Krol (Poland; eighteenth series onwards)
- Alexander Heeren (The Netherlands; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- Armando Rendiz (Latin America; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- Fabrice Trojani (France and French speaking Canada; Misty Island Rescue - eighteenth series)
- Thibault Lacour (France and French speaking Canada; nineteenth series onwards)
- Salvador Serrano (Spain)
- Yehonatan Magon (Israel)
- Pasi Ruohonen (Finland; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- Captain's livery is identical to Bulstrode's My First Thomas toy.
- Captain uses a chassis to launch himself into the water, identical to the one Skiff has.
"Batter me broadside!"
---Captain, after Butch knocks some metal pipes into the sea, Stuck on You, fifteenth series
"Don't look at me, I only do rescues on water!"
---Captain, Toby to the Rescue, magazine story
"Did somebody lose their ball?!"
---Captain, when the giant globe falls into the sea, Emily Saves the World, eighteenth series