Edward is a blue mixed-traffic tender engine. He runs his own branch line with BoCo. Edward is one of the oldest engines on Sodor and is occasionally made fun of for his age. Despite this setback, he is also very wise and optimistic and spreads his knowledge and encouraging attitude towards the other engines.
The Railway Series
Edward was built by Sharp Stewart and Company at their Atlas Works in Glasgow, Scotland in 1896. He worked on the Furness Railway's Cumbrian Coast Line before coming to Sodor on loan with other engines in 1915 to assist with the building of the North Western Railway. The Furness had found him to be a "shy steamer," and were not interested in getting him back when his work was completed. They sold him to the NWR for a nominal sum, who have, by careful maintenance and extensive modifications, turned him into a reliable engine.
At some point prior to 1923, Edward was confined to a shed, to the delight of the other engines, who claimed that he was too old and weak to work. Edward was eventually let out again and proved that what he lacked in strength, he made up for in work by pushing a stubborn Gordon and his heavy goods train up Gordon's Hill in 1923.
In 1923, when Thomas was fed up with fetching coaches for the big engines, Edward offered Thomas to take his trucks. However, Thomas, having no experience with trucks, was pushed down a hill and diverted into a siding. Later in 1925, Edward helped James double-head a passenger train when the splendid red engine was acting out.
For some time afterwards, Edward was getting so old that his parts caused him to clank as he went along, which led to the bigger engines teasing him about his age. Gordon and Henry teased him about when a group of cows caused half of his cattle trucks to break away and derail, but later got their comeuppance when they encountered a cow named Bluebell on a bridge. Edward would later save an old traction engine named Trevor from scrap when he encouraged The Vicar of Wellsworth to buy him.
However, James would still talk down to Edward's age and how slow he is, but after he was left running down The Main Line without a driver thanks to two naughty boys who played with his controls, Edward proved himself to be a hero when he brought the inspector and James' fireman to slow him down. James could not thank Edward enough for his heroic actions and the Fat Controller sent Edward to the works to have his worn parts mended as a reward. When Edward came back, everyone was very pleased to see him again.
Some time afterwards, Edward received his own branch line and had two twin tank engines named Bill and Ben help take trucks from the Sodor China Clay Company to Brendam along his line. When the twins were playing tricks on a new diesel named BoCo, Edward put a stop to it and showed BoCo how to handle them. Soon, Edward and Gordon were both talking about branch lines, most to the disapproval of Gordon. That night there was a mishap at Tidmouth, which in favour, Edward's train went first which sent him down the mainline (this was caused when the signalman at Wellsworth was not informed of the delay) and Gordon went down to Brendam. Some few evenings later, when Edward was taking a passenger train filled with enthusiasts home to Tidmouth, his crank-pin snapped, damaging his wheel splasher and running plate, forcing the driver and fireman to take them off. However, Edward was able to pull the heavy train back to Tidmouth, very late, but with triumph. BoCo looked after Edward's branch line while Edward was sent to the works again for repairs.
In 2007, when an old coach named Victoria was being restored, Edward quickly recognised her from the Furness Railway and listened to her story about when she worked with a tank engine named Albert on his branch line, alongside another coach named Helena. Edward later took her to Knapford Junction for Thomas to take to Toby.
Edward was dropped from the main cast in the series’ rebrand Thomas & Friends: Big World! Big Adventures! order to increase focus on cultural and gender diversity, and to change the gender distribution at Tidmouth Sheds in order to consist of a more gender-equal main cast of four male (Thomas, Gordon, James and Percy) and three female (Emily, Nia, Rebecca) members, due to demands from feminists and rising interest from female audiences. In the movie Big World! Big Adventures!, Nia was introduced to replace Edward, in order for Nia to join as the sixth Steam Team member (with Series 22 later introducing Rebecca to fill the seventh and final slot vacated by Henry), and to become the second female member in the 7 member main cast. Since his departure from the main cast, Edward has been relegated to a recurring minor character, due to the focus shifting to the new female members, Nia and Rebecca.
Edward is kindhearted and always keen to help a friend in need. The small engines trust him to lend a listening ear and sympathetic advice. He is a hard worker too and always does his best to finish a job. If ever an engine misbehaves or acts out, it is Edward that the Fat Controller turns to in order to soothe things out.
Sadly, the big engines often see Edward as old-fashioned and slow. While it is true he is one of the oldest engines on the North Western Railway - it must be noted he helped build it - he has proved time and time again that he is more than capable of working as hard as any engine, and he is a much cleverer and wiser engine, too. In fact, for a time, he and BoCo were the only engines who looked after Bill and Ben and knew how to put them in their place should they misbehave. Like any other wise old engine, he stands for no nonsense from anyone, especially from the bigger engines.
From the ninth season to the fifteenth season, Edward had occasionally expressed insecurity in himself by keeping secrets from the other engines and Sir Topham Hatt, when he was once leaking steam and likewise when he was told to pull the post train whilst Percy was being repaired.
Since the seventeenth season, Edward has been portrayed with his original personality, such as when he gave Thomas advice to ignore Max and Monty and accepted James' request to bring the Mayor of Sodor to Callan Castle.
The Reverend W. Awdry stated that Edward is based on a heavily modified Sharp, Stewart and Co. "Larger Seagull" K2 Class, supplied to the Furness Railway in 1896.
Sodor "historian" Martin Clutterbuck notes that Edward bears a close resemblance to an LNER D34 "Glen" (NBR Reid Class K) 4-4-0, and an LNER D40 from the London and North Eastern Railway. The Reverend W. Awdry also used an LMS Class 2P to represent Edward on his model railway.
Visible Crovan's Gate Works modifications are: making the rear splashers flush with the cab, removal of the coupling rod splashers, new cab windows as opposed to cutaways in his cab side sheets and square cab lookouts as opposed to the original round ones. In both the Railway Series and television series, Edward is depicted with a Fowler tender.
A Fowler tender
Edward is painted in the North Western Railway's sky blue livery with red and yellow lining and the number "2" painted on his tender sides in bright yellow with a red border.
In the Railway Series, he carries two builder's plates on the sides of his cab.
It can be assumed that, before arriving on Sodor, Edward was painted in the Furness Railway's Indian red livery with black lining, the letters "FR" written in yellow on his tender sides and black wheels
The Railway Series
- The Three Railway Engines - Edward's Day Out, Edward and Gordon, The Sad Story of Henry (cameo) and Edward, Gordon and Henry
- Thomas the Tank Engine - Thomas' Train (cameo), Thomas and the Trucks and Thomas and the Breakdown Train
- James the Red Engine - James and the Top-Hat and Troublesome Trucks
- Troublesome Engines - Henry and the Elephant (does not speak), Tenders and Turntables (cameo), Trouble in the Shed and Percy Runs Away
- Henry the Green Engine - Coal (does not speak) and Gordon's Whistle
- Gordon the Big Engine - Off the Rails and Paint Pots and Queens
- Edward the Blue Engine - Cows, Bertie's Chase, Saved from Scrap and Old Iron
- Four Little Engines - Skarloey Remembers
- The Eight Famous Engines - The Fat Controller's Engines
- Duck and the Diesel Engine - Domeless Engines, Pop Goes the Diesel (cameo) and A Close Shave
- The Twin Engines - Break Van and The Deputation
- Gallant Old Engine - Gallant Old Engine (does not speak)
- Stepney the "Bluebell" Engine - Stepney's Special and Bowled Out
- Main Line Engines - The Diseasel, Wrong Road and Edward's Exploit
- Really Useful Engines - Fish (mentioned)
- James and the Diesel Engines - Fire-Engine
- More About Thomas the Tank Engine - The Runaway (does not speak)
- Gordon the High-Speed Engine - Smokescreen (mentioned) and Fire Escape (mentioned)
- Thomas and the Twins - Scrambled Eggs, What a Picture! and Trevor Helps Out
- Henry and the Express - Henry Sees Red (does not speak)
- Thomas and the Fat Controller's Engines - Edward and the Cabbages and Golden Jubilee
- Thomas and Victoria - Avalanche and Toby's Vintage Train
- Thomas and his Friends - Centenary
- 1972 - The Railway Series: Surprise Packet
- 1976 - Famous Engines and Railway Map of the Island of Sodor
- 1984 - Thomas's Christmas Party
- 1986 - Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree
- 1987 - The Island of Sodor: Its People, History and Railways
- 1996 - Thomas the Tank Engine: The Complete Collection
- 2005 - Sodor: Reading Between the Lines
- 2007 - Thomas the Tank Engine: The New Collection
- Series 1 - Edward and Gordon, The Sad Story of Henry, Edward, Gordon and Henry, Thomas' Train (does not speak), Thomas and the Trucks, Thomas and the Breakdown Train (does not speak), James and the Coaches, Troublesome Trucks, Trouble in the Shed, Percy Runs Away, Coal (does not speak), The Flying Kipper (cameo), Whistles and Sneezes, Off the Rails and Thomas' Christmas Party
- Series 2 - Cows, Bertie's Chase, Saved from Scrap, Old Iron, Thomas and Trevor, Percy and the Signal (cameo), The Runaway (does not speak), Dirty Work (mentioned), A Close Shave, Better Late Than Never (cameo), Break Van, The Deputation, The Diseasel, Wrong Road, Edward's Exploit and Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree (cameo)
- Series 3 - Percy's Promise, Time for Trouble (cameo), Gordon and the Famous Visitor, No Joke for James (cameo), Trust Thomas, Buzz, Buzz (mentioned), Edward, Trevor and the Really Useful Party, One Good Turn, Tender Engines (cameo), Escape, Heroes (does not speak), Percy, James and the Fruitful Day and Thomas and Percy's Christmas Adventure (cameo)
- Series 4 - Four Little Engines, Gallant Old Engine (does not speak), Thomas and Stepney, Bowled Out, Thomas and the Special Letter, Paint Pots and Queens and Fish (does not speak)
- Series 5 - Cranky Bugs (original concept art), Horrid Lorry (cameo), A Better View for Gordon (cameo), James and the Trouble with Trees, Bye George! (cameo), Haunted Henry, Happy Ever After, Busy Going Backwards (cameo) and Rusty and the Boulder
- Series 6 - Salty's Secret (cameo), Harvey to the Rescue, Elizabeth the Vintage Lorry (cameo), It's Only Snow, Scaredy Engines, Percy's Chocolate Crunch (cameo), Thomas, Percy and the Squeak (stock footage cameo) and Edward the Very Useful Engine
- Series 7 - Emily's New Coaches (does not speak), Percy Gets it Right (cameo), Edward's Brass Band and Gordon and Spencer (cameo)
- Series 8 - James Gets a New Coat (does not speak), Thomas Saves the Day (does not speak), Percy's Big Mistake (cameo), Thomas, Emily and the Snowplough (cameo), Don't Tell Thomas, Gordon Takes Charge (does not speak), Edward the Great, Thomas and the Circus (cameo), Thomas Gets it Right (cameo), As Good as Gordon (does not speak), Halloween (cameo), You Can Do it, Toby! (does not speak), Chickens to School, James Goes Too Far and Percy and the Magic Carpet (cameo)
- Series 9 - Percy and the Oil Painting (cameo), Thomas and the Rainbow, Molly's Special Special (does not speak), Thomas and the Toy Shop (cameo), Respect for Gordon (does not speak), Thomas and the Birthday Picnic (does not speak), Thomas and the New Engine, Toby Feels Left Out (cameo), Thomas Tries His Best (does not speak), Thomas and the Statue, Henry and the Flagpole (mentioned), Thomas' Day Off (cameo), Thomas' New Trucks (cameo), Saving Edward and Keeping Up with James
- Series 10 - Percy and the Funfair, It's Good to be Gordon (cameo), Edward Strikes Out, Topped Off Thomas (cameo), Thomas and the Shooting Star (cameo), Big Strong Henry (does not speak), Thomas' Frosty Friend (cameo), Thomas and the Colours (cameo) and James the Second Best
- Series 11 - Thomas and the Storyteller (cameo), Hector the Horrid! (does not speak), Thomas and the Spaceship (cameo), Henry's Lucky Day, Thomas and the Lighthouse, Thomas Sets Sail (does not speak), Edward and the Mail and Percy and the Left Luggage
- Series 12 - Thomas and the Billboard (does not speak), Steady Eddie, Henry Gets it Wrong, Heave Ho Thomas! (cameo), Toby's Special Surprise (does not speak), James Works it Out, Tram Trouble (cameo) and Percy and the Bandstand (stock footage, does not speak)
- Series 13 - The Lion of Sodor, Tickled Pink (cameo), Double Trouble, Slippy Sodor, Play Time, Time For a Story (cameo), Percy's Parcel, Toby's New Whistle (cameo), A Blooming Mess, Thomas and the Runaway Kite, Steamy Sodor (cameo), The Biggest Present of All, Snow Tracks (cameo) and Hiro Helps Out
- Series 14 - Thomas' Tall Friend, James in the Dark, Charlie and Eddie, Toby and the Whistling Woods (cameo), Diesel's Special Delivery (cameo), Pop Goes Thomas (cameo), Victor Says Yes, Being Percy (stock footage cameo), Henry's Magic Box (does not speak), Thomas' Crazy Day (cameo), Jumping Jobi Wood!, Thomas and Scruff (cameo) and O the Indignity (cameo)
- Series 15 - Percy's New Friends (cameo), Edward the Hero, Up, Up and Away! (cameo), Let it Snow(cameo), Surprise, Surprise, Spencer the Grand (cameo), Stuck on You (cameo), Kevin the Steamie (cameo), Wonky Whistle (cameo), Percy the Snowman (cameo) and Fiery Flynn
- Series 16 - Express Coming Through (cameo), Percy and the Monster of Brendam, Ho Ho Snowman, Flash Bang Wallop!, Bust My Buffers! (cameo), Thomas and the Sounds of Sodor (does not speak), Salty's Surprise, Sodor Surprise Day (cameo), Emily's Winter Party Special (cameo), Muddy Matters (cameo), Whiff's Wish and Happy Birthday Sir!
- Series 17 - Kevin's Cranky Friend (cameo), Scruff's Makeover (cameo), Calm Down Caitlin (cameo), Steamie Stafford (cameo), The Phantom Express (cameo), No Snow for Thomas, Santa's Little Engine (cameo), The Missing Christmas Decorations, The Frozen Turntable, Away From the Sea (cameo), Gone Fishing (mentioned), The Smelly Kipper (does not speak), No More Mr. Nice Engine and Thomas' Shortcut
- Series 18 - Old Reliable Edward, Flatbeds of Fear, Signals Crossed (does not speak), Toad's Adventure (does not speak), Duck in the Water (cameo), Duck and the Slip Coaches, Thomas and the Emergency Cable (cameo), No Steam Without Coal (cameo), Spencer's VIP, Last Train for Christmas and The Perfect Gift (cameo)
- Series 19 - Who's Geoffrey? (cameo), The Truth About Toby, Lost Property (cameo), Henry Spots Trouble (cameo), A Cranky Christmas, The Beast of Sodor, Toad and the Whale (cameo), Very Important Sheep (cameo), Salty All At Sea, Helping Hiro, Reds vs. Blues (does not speak), Best Engine Ever (cameo), The Little Engine Who Raced Ahead, Philip to the Rescue, Diesel's Ghostly Christmas, Thomas the Babysitter (cameo), The Other Side of the Mountain (cameo) and Goodbye Fat Controller
- Series 20 - Toby's New Friend (cameo), Henry Gets the Express, Diesel and the Ducklings (does not speak), Bradford the Brake Van, Pouty James, Letters to Santa, Love Me Tender (mentioned), The Christmas Coffeepot, Over the Hill (cameo), Henry in the Dark, Three Steam Engines Gruff, Engine of the Future, Mucking About and All in Vain
- Series 21 - Dowager Hatt's Busy Day, Stuck in Gear (cameo), P.A. Problems, Cranky at the End of the Line, New Crane on the Dock, Philip's Number (does not speak), A Shed for Edward and The Big Freeze
- Series 22 - Forever and Ever, Confusion Without Delay, An Engine of Many Colours (fantasy), School of Duck, Rosie is Red and Hunt the Truck
- Series 24- Thomas and the Royal Engine (Cameo), A New Arrival, Emily's Best Friend and Sonny's Second Chance
- 2005 - Calling All Engines!
- 2008 - The Great Discovery
- 2009 - Hero of the Rails
- 2010 - Misty Island Rescue
- 2011 - Day of the Diesels
- 2012 - Blue Mountain Mystery
- 2013 - King of the Railway (Does Not Speak)
- 2014 - Tale of the Brave
- 2015 - The Adventure Begins and Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure
- 2016 - The Great Race
- 2017 - Journey Beyond Sodor
- 2018 - Big World! Big Adventures!
- Series 3 - Thomas' Anthem and I'm Thomas the Tank Engine
- Series 4 - Thomas' Anthem Grand Finale, Let's Have a Race, Gone Fishing, Toby, Don't Judge a Book By its Cover, Really Useful Engine and Thomas' Christmas Song
- Series 5 - Night Train, Accidents Will Happen, Every Cloud has a Silver Lining, It's Great to be an Engine, Donald's Duck, Sir Topham Hatt and Come for the Ride
- Series 6 - Little Engines, Down by the Docks, Winter Wonderland and Never, Never, Never Give Up
- Series 7 - There Once Was an Engine Who Ran Away and The Whistle Song
- Series 8 - Sounds, A World Around You, Determination, Patience, Ode to Gordon and Engine Roll Call
- Calling All Engines! - Busy, Trying and Together New Engine Roll Call and The Dream Song
- Series 9 - Day and Night, Party Time, Pride, Every Day's a Special Day on Sodor and Togetherness
- Jack and the Sodor Construction Company - The Work Song and One Friendly Family
- Series 10 - Doing it Right, Favourite Place, H is for Harold, There's Always Something New, Responsibility, Strength, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Jingle Bells and Engine Roll Call
- Season 11 - Engine Roll Call
- The Great Discovery - There's a Job for Everyone, Where, oh Where is Thomas?, Engine Roll Calland Thomas, You're the Leader
- Series 12 - Engine Roll Call
- Hero of the Rails - Go, Go Thomas
- Series 13 - Roll Along, Thomas, You're the Leader, Sounds, Determination and Engine Roll Call
- Misty Island Rescue - Misty Island Rescue
- Series 14 - All You Need and Sir Topham Hatt
- Day of the Diesels - Day of the Diesels
- Series 15 - Hear the Engines Coming
- Series 16 - Thomas and Percy and Go, Go Thomas
- King of the Railway - It's Gonna be a Great Day
- Season 17 - Hey, Hey Thomas!
- Tale of the Brave - Let's Be Brave
- Series 18 - It's Christmas Time and The Best Friends Express
- Thomas' YouTube World Tour - A World Around You, Down by the Docks, Navigation, It's Great to be an Engine, Thomas' Anthem, The Whistle Song, Night Train, Ode to Gordon, Rules and Regulations and That's What Friends Are For
- The Adventure Begins - Really Useful Engine
- Series 19 - There's Snow Place Like Home, Let's Go!, Race with You, Spring is Here!, Engine Roll Call and Down by the Docks
- Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure - We Make a Team Together (cameo)
- Series 20 - James the Really Splendid Engine and Accidents Will Happen
- The Great Race - Will You Won't You
- Journey Beyond Sodor - I Want to Go Home (cameo) and The Most Important Thing is Being Friends
- Series 21 - Set Friendship in Motion, Doing it Right and Trying
- Big World! Big Adventures! - Where in the World is Thomas? and We're Friends
- Series 22 - Engine Roll Call
- Series 8 - Sharing (does not speak), The Children Wait for Gordon (does not speak), Helping One Another (does not speak), Edward Helps Emily Up Gordon's Hill (does not speak) and Dot to Dot - Edward (does not speak)
- Calling All Engines! - Which Engine for Which Job? (does not speak) and Which Diesel Engine with Which Steam Engine? (does not speak)
- Series 9 - Same Colour (does not speak), Which Load for Which Route? (does not speak), Being Kind (does not speak), What Goes Where? (cameo), Dot to Dot - James (mentioned), Who Respects Whom? (does not speak), Who's Under the Coal Dust? - James (does not speak) and Job Destinations (does not speak)
- Series 10 - Guess the Engine - Edward (does not speak), Help From Your Friends (does not speak) and Which Engine Should go to Which Building? (does not speak)
- The Great Discovery - Thomas Puzzle Parts (does not speak)
- 2015 - A Friendly Farewell
- 2016 - Thomas & Friends in 4-D: Bubbling Boilers (does not speak)
- 1987 - Edward and Gordon, Thomas and the Trucks, Thomas and the Breakdown Train (cameo), James and the Coaches and Thomas' Christmas Party
- 1988 - James and the Troublesome Trucks, Trouble in the Shed, Percy Runs Away (does not speak), Cows, Old Iron, Thomas and Trevor, The Runaway (cameo), BoCo the Diseasel, Wrong Road, Edward's Exploits, Thomas' Present and The Train Spotters (mentioned)
- 1989 - Fire (mentioned), The Party and An Important Visitor
- 1990 - Thomas For Sale, Edward and the Express and The Backlog (does not speak)
- 1991 - Thomas and the Blue Wheel (does not speak)
- 1993 - Roof Repairs! (cameo) and The Carriage Café
- 1994 - Runaway Trucks
- 1995 - The Engine Parade! and School-time Thomas!
- 1996 - Timetable Trouble, Edward and the River Rose!, Percy Saves the Day, The New Track and Seeing Signals! (does not speak)
- 1997 - Percy's Goods Train, Henry, Thomas' Tree, Percy's Surprise (does not speak), Henry's Hills, Henry's Busy Day, Trevor's Christmas Surprise (does not speak), 'Smile, Please!' and Percy's Promise
- 1998 - Smokey Joe! (mentioned), Thomas and the Trucks! (does not speak), Henry (does not speak), Billy's Bones!, James Breaks the Rules and Snakes and Ladders!
- 1999 - Bill and Ben's Trick (mentioned)
- 2000 - Harold's Race!, Henry's Freight Cars, Night Work (mentioned), Henry (cameo), Lucky to be Lost!(cameo) and Wet Wheels
- 2001 - Soak Joke
- 2002 - Ben at the Station and The Blue Engine Club
- 2003 - New Year Cheer! (cameo) and Harvey to the Rescue!
- 2004 - Edward to the Rescue!, Peep! Peep! Moo! Moo!, Hoppy New Year!, Thank You, Thomas!, It's Only Snow! (cameo), Thomas Gets It Right (cameo), Metal Men, The Engine Clock, Thomas the Tortoise and Frying Tonight
- 2005 - Strange Sight (does not speak), Sweet Scent (numberless; cameo), Turntable Trouble, Three Kings, Slide and Ride, A Treat for Trying, Cat and Mouse (cameo), Chickens to School (mentioned), Bump and Jump (does not speak), Edward the Great and Sunburnt Spencer
- 2006 - Saving Edward, King Thomas and Thomas and the Statue (cameo)
- 2007 - Everyone's Friend, Easy for Edward, Blown About!, Edward Strikes Out, Yacht Race (cameo), Autumn Leaves (cameo) and Surprise Visitor (cameo)
- 2008 - Edward's Mail, Track Race (speaks in speech bubble only), Wonky Whistle!, Thomas and the Lighthouse!, Percy and the Left Luggage, The Ice Train! and Stop, Thief!
- 2009 - Thomas Saves the Day (mentioned) and Spring Time Special
- 2010 - Rope Rescue, Hiro Helps Out, The Best Present of All (cameo), Henry Gets It Wrong!, Farm Fun!(does not speak), Misty Island Rescue (cameo), Snow Tracks (cameo), The Water Wheel, Edward's Escape, A Blooming Mess (does not speak), Thomas and the Rainbow! and Thomas and the Kites
- 2011 - Saved Again, Flaming Flynn (does not speak), Rumble Rescue, Watch the Clock, The Treasure Hunt, Musical Trucks (cameo), Victor Says Yes (does not speak), Caroline Camps Out, Jumping Jobi Wood (speaks in speech bubble only), Hiro Helps Out, The Runaway Kite, A Lion on Sodor, Charlie and Eddie, Out of Control, Thomas' Tall Friend (does not speak) and Snow Tracks (cameo)
- 2012 - Edward the Hero, Fiery Flynn!, Double Trouble, Edward's Big Rescue, Muddy Matters (cameo), Thomas' Tall Friend (speaks in speech bubble only), Fish and Ships, The Fat Controller's Bedtime Story (Issue 645), Express Coming Through! (cameo), Bedtime Tale, Percy the Snowman (cameo) and Keeping up with James
- 2013 - Surprise, Surprise!, Happy Birthday, Sir! (does not speak), Whiff's Wish (does not speak), Terrible Twins (does not speak), Caught on Camera, James and the Giant Animals and Henry's Ghost
- 2014 - Happy Birthday, Sir! (cameo), Confusion and Delay, Muddy Matters (cameo), No More Mr. Nice Engine, Edward the Helpful Engine, Frozen Turntable and Thomas and the Kites
- 2015 - Old Reliable Edward, Silent Puffing! (cameo) and The Perfect Present (cameo)
- 2016 - Victor Says Yes (mentioned) and Jumping Jobi Wood (speaks in speech bubble only)
- 2017 - Thomas and the Kites and Diesel and the Ducklings (incorrectly mentioned in speech bubble only)
Edward also appeared in the magazine stories, A Perfect Garden, Bill and BoCo, Chiff Chaff, Diesel Causes Delay, Diesel Display, Edward's Scarecrow, Flying James, Gordon and Edward, James and Edward, Lamp Light!, Lost and Found, Percy's Spooky Tooth, Percy's Stories, Railway Open Day, Really Useful Edward, Road Train, Slick Trick!, Stick with Steam, Taking Toby and The Big Ship
- 1985 - Edward Cracks a Nut, Gale Warning (cameo), The Twins' Passing Problem (mentioned) and James' Rest Cure
- 1986 - Old Groaner (does not speak) and Golden Oldies
- 1987 - Signal Failure and Timber! (mentioned)
- 1988 - Thomas and Trevor
- 1990 - Points of No Return
- 1991 - Trucks for Scrap (mentioned), Thomas and the Sunday School Outing (mentioned), In the Drink(mentioned) and Rusty Red Scrap Iron
- 1992 - A Problem for the Twins (mentioned) and Galloping Sausage (mentioned)
- 1994 - The Merry-Go-Round That Wouldn't and James' Rest Cure
- 1995 - First Prize
- 1996 - Rings a Bell! (not seen) and Pantomime Pranks
- 1997 - Edward Saves the Day
- 1998 - The Star of the Show
- 1999 - Bill and Ben and Leaves on the Line (does not speak)
- 2000 - Slow Down, Thomas!, Thomas the Famous Engine and Star Engines
- 2001 - Very Special Engines and Edward Saves the Day
- 2002 - "That's the Way to Do It!" (cameo) and The Really Useful Traction Engine
- 2011 - Hiro Helps Out
- 2013 - Hiro Helps Out
- 2013 - Holiday Annual - The Biggest Present of All (cameo)
- 1998 - Magical Adventure
- 1999 - The Great Festival Adventure
- 2000 - Trouble on the Tracks and Thomas and the Magic Railroad Print Studio
- 2002 - Building the New Line
- 2006 - A Day at the Races
- 2008 - Begins Educational Learning
- 2018 - Go Go Thomas (does not speak)
- Keith Wickham (UK; Hero of the Rails onwards; excluding A Friendly Farwell)
- William Hope (US; Hero of the Rails onwards; excluding A Friendly Farewell)
- Mark Moraghan (UK/US; A Friendly Farewell only)
- Yasuhiro Takato (Japan; first - eighth series)
- Nozomu Sasaki (Japan; Calling All Engines! onwards, excluding An Engine of Many Colours)
- Kan Tanaka (Japan; An Engine of Many Colours only)
- Øyvind Borgemoen Lyse (Norway; Hero of the Rails - Tale of the Brave)
- TBA (Norway; Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure onwards)
- Herman López (Latin America; Hero of the Rails - Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure; excluding Tale of the Brave)
- Javier Olguín (Latin America; Victor Says Yes and The Missing Christmas Decorations; one phrase as an error)
- Gustavo Melgarejo (Latin America; twentieth series onwards)
- Christos Topulos (Germany; excluding Audio Books)
- Henry König (Germany; Audio Books only)
- Wojciech Chorąży (Poland; Hero of the Rails onwards)
- Fabrice Trojani (France and French speaking Canada)
- Petteri Hynönen (Finland; Hero of the Rails - Tale of the Brave, excluding the sixteenth series - twenty-first series)
- TBA (Finland; sixteenth-twenty-first series only)
- Petrus Kähkönen (Finland; Big World! Big Adventures! onwards)
- Reinder van der Naalt (The Netherlands)
- Dan Schatzberg (Israel)
- Celso Alves (Brazil; Hero of the Rails onwards)
- Jordi Estupiña (Spain)
- Anh Tuấn (Vietnam)
- Galbenisz Tomasz (Hungary)
- Alexander Kotov (Russia; thirteenth - sixteenth series)
- Denis Bespalyy (Russia; King of the Railway - eighteenth series)
- Anton Savenkov (Russia; nineteenth series onwards)
- Um Sang-hyun (South Korea)
- Loukas Frangoulis (Greece)
- Edward was the very first character created for the Railway Series, in 1942.
- Edward is one of few characters to appear in every series of the television series and one of even fewer characters to have a speaking role in each one.
- Edward is the only engine whose crew has been named in the Railway Series. In the foreword of "Edward the Blue Engine" their names were given as Charlie Sand (driver) and Sidney Heaver (fireman). Their surnames came from their duties (one of the driver's jobs is to sand the rails when they are slippery to let the engine's wheels grip, while the fireman "heaves" coal to the firebox); their first names came from an engine crew from the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway.
- Three of Edward's models are currently on display; two at Drayton Manor and the other is in Japan at the Hara Model Railway Museum (previously on display at Nitrogen Studios). One of Edward's production made face masks is also owned by Twitter user Thomas Merchandise.
- In Steady Eddie, Charlie and Eddie and Edward the Hero, Edward refers to himself as "Eddie". Charlie also refers to him by this name. "Eddie" also happens to be Edward's real name in the Greek narration and in Italy from the fifteenth series onwards; however, in the Engine Roll Call he is referred as Edward.
- In the French dub, Edward is called Edouard in the first seven series.
- He is Michael White's favourite character.
- According to Britt Allcroft, there was a suggestion that Edward should become female and be renamed to "Alice" in the US dub, but he ended up retaining his original name and gender.
- Edward is the first character to be dropped from the Steam Team. His replacement is Nia.