Gordon is a Bright Blue Tender Engine and has the Number 4 painted on the sides of his tender.
Gordon was built at Doncaster in 1922 as an experimental prototype for Sir Nigel Gresley’s A1 Pacific design for the Great Northern Railway. Inevitably there were faults which needed correction; so Gordon was kept "hush hush" and, apart from test runs, was never put into regular traffic or given a GNR number. He was used experimentally untill all defects had been cured and the first batch of Pacifics had appeared in 1922/23. In 1923 therefore Gordon was no longer needed, and was sold to the NWR together with a spare boiler and firebox.
During Gordon's early years on the railway, he often looked down on the smaller engines like Edward and Thomas. However, he would soon find he needed help from Edward to be his banker after he got stuck on a hill with a train of trucks. He also needed Edward and Henry to pull his passenger train after he broke his safety valve in front of Henry's Tunnel.
Gordon often found Thomas very annoying for whistling rudely at him, so he taught him a lesson by bringing him along his express train before he could be uncoupled. Thomas usually fetched the coaches for him, however, after Thomas left the yard when he was given a branch line, Gordon, along with Henry and James, soon found that they had to fetch their own coaches. After the big engines had several mishaps, one of which involved Gordon having to pull his train backwards, Gordon proposed that they all go on strike, where they would only pull their coaches if another engine fetched them. Edward was the only engine left and since he was a tender engine and that Gordon proposed that tender engines do not shunt, they started to discriminate against Edward until the Fat Controller decided to leave them in the shed until they learned the error of their ways.
After Gordon, Henry and James saw how silly they were, the Fat Controller let them out, reminding them to behave and bought a tank engine named Percy to help fetch their coaches. Gordon almost had a run-in accident with Percy when he carelessly stood on the Main Line. After Percy ran away backwards and stopped in a pile of dirt, Gordon helped him out. Gordon was still arrogant and insulted Henry for the way he whistled. However, he ate his own words when his whistle jammed and he went running down the main line whistling continuously. He did not stop until a fitter climbed up and knocked his whistle in place.
Gordon is mainly used for passenger duties, pulling the North Western Railway's express, the Wild Nor' Wester, but has occasionally pulled goods trains, much to his dislike. He has been known to run into ditches and stop on hills to get out of doing these jobs, as he believes that these are below him.
In 1939, Gordon went to Crewe for a rebuild. His conjugated valve gear, which had been giving much trouble, was replaced by a two-cylinder chassis (designed by the Fat Controller), he received a smoother running plate, Stanier underframes and cylinders. This rebuild effectively made him a Gresley/Stanier hybrid.
Gordon has become famous after his adventures: In 1952, he was forbidden from pulling passenger trains following his incident in the ditch he caused, but after a period of good behavior, by 1953, his punishment ended and he pulled Queen Elizabeth II's royal train. In 1956, he travelled to London, where he was lauded by a large crowd. Gordon did not like the visit, however, as he discovered that London's big station was St. Pancras, which he thought was King's Cross.
In 1957, when Diesel arrived on trial and was having trouble moving some old trucks, he decided to make rumors/rumours about Duck giving Gordon a bad nickname, the "Galloping Sausage". So he, Henry and James began to turn against Duck by forbidding him from the shed. However, when the truth came out that Duck had not made the nicknames, they begin to feel very silly about jumping to conclusions before knowing the true story.
In 1965, Gordon complained about BoCo going on the main line, because the diesel only works on Edward's Branch Line. He claims that the Fat Controller would never agree and states that branch lines are vulgar. That night, Gordon's crew mistakenly claimed that the passenger with a green hat is the guard waving his green flag. As a result, Gordon leaves with the majority of the passengers, the luggage, and the guard stranded on the platform. Everyone is surprised, but the surprise quickly gives way to anger. This makes Gordon so embarrassed, he brought his train back down to the big station as Edward was already late with his train. But the signalman at the junction was not told about the change. Because of this, Edward was sent to the main line and Gordon was sent down to Edward's branch line.
In 1967, Gordon felt devastated about his siblings were all scrapped on the Mainland, but happy to hear that his brother Flying Scotsman was preserved, when the Fat Controller brought him to reunite with Gordon.
Then, in 1986, Gordon got to visit Carlisle when a Diesel taking a Railtour failed.
As Gordon could not go far on the Other Railway due to a lack of waterpipes, Gordon would have to change places with a diesel locomotive at Barrow, who would take the Wild Nor' Wester onwards to London. By the early 2000's, however, this wasted too much time and the timetable was considered too slow. Sir Stephen Hatt decided to buy Pip and Emma to run the service, as they are capable of doing a complete round trip every day, which he did so in 2011. Gordon now pulls fast passenger trains, which he prefers as he can do two round trips per day instead of one and does not need to hurry.
Gordon's last train of the day stops at all the stations on the Main Line. One evening, delays on the Other Railway resulted in him being late. At Killdane, he encountered a fire and he urged his driver to do something; his driver used a hose to put out the fire with water from Gordon's tender. Following this, the Fire Brigade recommended him for The Queen's Fire Service Medal, which he is very proud of.
- Neil Crone (Thomas and the Magic Railroad)
- Keith Wickham (UK (Hero of the Rails onwards)
- Kerry Shale (US (Hero of the Rails onwards)
- Kenta Miyake (Japan (Calling All Engines! onwards)
- Kenji Utsumi (Japan (1st - 8th Series)
- The Three Railway Engines - Edward's Day Out (cameo, no lines), Edward and Gordon and Edward, Gordon and Henry
- Thomas the Tank Engine - Thomas and Gordon and Thomas and the Breakdown Train
- James the Red Engine - James and the Top-Hat (mentioned), James and the Bootlace (mentioned), Troublesome Trucks (mentioned) and James and the Express
- Troublesome Engines - Henry and the Elephant, Tenders and Turntables, Trouble in the Shed and Percy Runs Away
- Henry the Green Engine - Coal (mentioned), The Flying Kipper (mentioned), Gordon's Whistle and Percy and the Trousers (cameo, no lines)
- Gordon the Big Engine - Off the Rails, Leaves, Down the Mine and Paint Pots and Queens
- Edward the Blue Engine - Cows
- Four Little Engines - Sir Handel
- Percy the Small Engine - Percy and the Signal and Duck Takes Charge
- The Eight Famous Engines - Gordon Goes Foreign, Double Header (mentioned) and The Fat Controller's Engines
- Duck and the Diesel Engine - Domeless Engines, Pop Goes the Diesel, Dirty Work and A Close Shave (no lines)
- The Little Old Engine - Trucks!
- The Twin Engines - Hullo Twins!, The Missing Coach, Break Van (no lines) and The Deputation
- Stepney the "Bluebell" Engine - Stepney's Special (cameo, no lines) and Bowled Out
- Main Line Engines - Buzz, Buzz, Wrong Road and Edward's Exploit
- Small Railway Engines - Ballast (not seen)
- Enterprising Engines - Tenders for Henry and Little Western
- Oliver the Western Engine - Resource and Sagacity
- Really Useful Engines - Fish (mentioned) and Triple-Header
- James and the Diesel Engines - Fire-Engine
- Great Little Engines - Patience is a Virtue
- More About Thomas the Tank Engine - Better Late Than Never (cameo, no lines)
- Gordon the High-Speed Engine - High-Speed Gordon, Smokescreen, Fire Escape and Gordon Proves His Point
- Thomas and the Twins - Scrambled Eggs (mentioned)
- Thomas and the Great Railway Show - Museum Piece and Not the Ticket (no lines)
- Thomas Comes Home - Snow Problem
- Henry and the Express - Out of Puff (no lines), Sliding Scales (cameo) and Henry Sees Red (no lines)
- Thomas and the Fat Controller's Engines - Birdstrike and Golden Jubilee
- Thomas and his Friends - Thomas and the Swan, Gordon's Fire Service and Centenary
- Thomas and the Evil Diesel (cameo, no lines)
- 1972 - The Railway Series: Surprise Packet
- 1976 - Famous Engines and Railway Map of the Island of Sodor
- 1984 - Thomas's Christmas Party
- 1986 - Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree
- 1987 - The Island of Sodor: Its People, History and Railways
- 1996 - Thomas the Tank Engine: The Complete Collection
- 2005 - Sodor: Reading Between the Lines
- 2007 - Thomas the Tank Engine: The New Collection
- Series 1 - Thomas and Gordon, Edward and Gordon, The Sad Story of Henry, Edward, Gordon and Henry, Thomas' Train, Thomas and the Trucks (no lines), Thomas and the Breakdown Train, James and the Coaches (mentioned), Troublesome Trucks (mentioned), James and the Express, Tenders and Turntables, Trouble in the Shed, Percy Runs Away, The Flying Kipper (no lines), Whistles and Sneezes, Off the Rails, Down the Mine and Thomas' Christmas Party
- Series 2 - Cows, Saved from Scrap (cameo, no lines), Old Iron (cameo, no lines), Percy and the Signal, Duck Takes Charge, Pop Goes the Diesel, Dirty Work, A Close Shave (no lines), Break Van (cameo, no lines), The Deputation, Wrong Road, Edward's Exploit and Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree (no lines)
- Series 3 - Time for Trouble, Gordon and the Famous Visitor, Thomas, Percy and the Dragon, Henry's Forest (no lines), The Trouble with Mud, No Joke for James, Trust Thomas, Tender Engines, Escape, Oliver Owns Up, Heroes, Percy, James and the Fruitful Day and Thomas and Percy's Christmas Adventure (cameo, no lines)
- Series 4 - Granpuff (no lines), Sleeping Beauty, Bulldog, A Bad Day for Sir Handel, Trucks!, Rock 'n' Roll (cameo, no lines), Gallant Old Engine (no lines), Rusty to the Rescue (cameo, no lines), Thomas and Stepney (cameo, no lines), Bowled Out, Henry and the Elephant, Thomas and the Special Letter, Paint Pots and Queens and Fish (mentioned)
- Series 5 - Cranky Bugs, Horrid Lorry (cameo, no lines), A Better View for Gordon, James and the Trouble with Trees (cameo, no lines), Gordon and the Gremlin, Bye George!, Baa! (cameo, no lines), Put Upon Percy (cameo, no lines), Haunted Henry (no lines), Thomas and the Rumours, Busy Going Backwards and Snow
- Series 6 - Salty's Secret (cameo, no lines), Harvey to the Rescue, No Sleep for Cranky (stock footage/deleted scene cameo, no lines), A Bad Day for Harold the Helicopter (cameo, no lines), The Fogman, It's Only Snow (cameo, no lines), Twin Trouble (cameo, no lines), The World's Strongest Engine, Scaredy Engines, Percy and the Haunted Mine (cameo), Middle Engine (no lines), Jack Frost (cameo, no lines), Gordon Takes a Tumble, Percy's Chocolate Crunch, Thomas, Percy and the Squeak, Thomas the Jet Engine and Edward the Very Useful Engine
- Series 7 - Percy Gets it Right, Edward's Brass Band (cameo, no lines), What's the Matter with Henry? (cameo, no lines), James and the Queen of Sodor, The Spotless Record (cameo, no lines), Something Fishy (cameo, no lines), Peace and Quiet (deleted scene), Bulgy Rides Again (cameo, no lines), Harold and the Flying Horse (cameo, no lines), Best Dressed Engine and Gordon and Spencer
- Jack and the Sodor Construction Company - Mud Glorious Mud (cameo, no lines)
- Series 8 - Thomas and the Tuba (no lines), Thomas to the Rescue (cameo, no lines), Henry and the Wishing Tree, James Gets a New Coat (no lines), Thomas Saves the Day (cameo, no lines), Percy's Big Mistake, Thomas, Emily and the Snowplough (cameo, no lines), Don't Tell Thomas (cameo, no lines), Emily's New Route (deleted scene), Thomas and the Firework Display (no lines), Gordon Takes Charge, Spic and Span, Edward the Great, Squeak, Rattle and Roll, Thomas and the Circus (cameo, no lines), Thomas Gets it Right, As Good as Gordon, Fish (no lines), Halloween (cameo), You Can Do it, Toby!, Chickens to School, James Goes Too Far and Percy and the Magic Carpet
- Series 9 - Percy and the Oil Painting (no lines), Thomas and the Rainbow (cameo, no lines), Molly's Special Special, Thomas' Milkshake Muddle (cameo, no lines), Thomas and the Toy Shop (cameo, no lines), Respect for Gordon, Thomas and the Birthday Picnic, Thomas and the New Engine (cameo, no lines), Toby Feels Left Out, Thomas Tries His Best, Thomas and the Statue, Emily Knows Best (cameo, no lines), Thomas' Day Off (cameo, no lines), Thomas' New Trucks (cameo, no lines), Bold and Brave (cameo, no lines), Saving Edward, Thomas and the Golden Eagle (no lines) and Keeping Up with James (no lines)
- Series 10 - Percy and the Funfair (no lines), The Green Controller, It's Good to be Gordon, Seeing the Sights, Toby's New Shed (no lines), Edward Strikes Out, Topped Off Thomas (no lines), Thomas and the Shooting Star, Big Strong Henry, Thomas' Frosty Friend (no lines), Emily and the Special Coaches, Thomas and the Colours (cameo, no lines), Thomas and the Treasure (cameo, no lines), James the Second Best (mentioned) and Thomas and Skarloey's Big Day Out (mentioned)
- Series 11 - Thomas and the Storyteller (cameo, no lines), Emily's Rubbish, Dream On (cameo, no lines), Gordon and the Engineer, Thomas and the Spaceship, Henry's Lucky Day (cameo, no lines), Thomas and the Lighthouse (cameo, no lines), Thomas and the Big Bang (cameo, no lines), Thomas Sets Sail, Don't be Silly, Billy (no lines), Hide and Peep (cameo, no lines), Toby's Triumph (cameo, no lines), Thomas and the Runaway Car, Thomas in Trouble and Percy and the Left Luggage (cameo, no lines)
- Series 12 - Thomas and the Billboard, Steady Eddie (no lines), Rosie's Funfair Special (mentioned), Henry Gets it Wrong (cameo, no lines), Heave Ho Thomas! (cameo, no lines), Toby's Special Surprise, Excellent Emily (cameo, no lines), Saved You! (no lines), Tram Trouble (cameo, no lines), Gordon Takes a Shortcut and Thomas Puts the Brakes On
- Series 13 - Creaky Cranky (cameo, no lines), The Lion of Sodor, Tickled Pink, Double Trouble, Slippy Sodor, The Early Bird, Play Time, Time For a Story (cameo, no lines), Toby's New Whistle, A Blooming Mess (cameo, no lines), Steamy Sodor (cameo, no lines), Splish Splash Splosh (cameo, no lines), The Biggest Present of All (no lines), Snow Tracks and Buzzy Bees (cameo, no lines)
- Series 14 - Thomas' Tall Friend, Pingy Pongy Pick Up (cameo, no lines), Charlie and Eddie (cameo, no lines), Henry's Health and Safety (cameo, no lines), Pop Goes Thomas (cameo, no lines), Victor Says Yes, Thomas in Charge, Merry Winter Wish (cameo, no lines), Being Percy, Henry's Magic Box (no lines), Thomas and Scruff, O the Indignity, Jitters and Japes (cameo, no lines) and Merry Misty Island (no lines)
- Series 15 - Gordon and Ferdinand, Emily and Dash, Percy's New Friends, James to the Rescue, Happy Hiro (cameo), Up, Up and Away!, Henry's Happy Coal (cameo, no lines), Let it Snow, Surprise, Surprise (cameo, no lines), Spencer the Grand, Stuck on You, Big Belle (mentioned), Percy the Snowman (no lines), Tree Trouble and Fiery Flynn
- Series 16 - Race to the Rescue (cameo, no lines), Ol' Wheezy Wobbles (cameo, no lines), Express Coming Through, Percy and the Monster of Brendam (cameo, no lines), Ho Ho Snowman (no lines), Flash Bang Wallop!, Thomas and the Rubbish Train, Thomas Toots the Crows, Bust My Buffers!, Thomas and the Sounds of Sodor, Salty's Surprise (cameo, no lines), Sodor Surprise Day, Muddy Matters (cameo, no lines), Whiff's Wish (no lines) and Happy Birthday Sir! (cameo, no lines)
- Series 17 - Scruff's Makeover, Wayward Winston, Gordon Runs Dry, Calm Down Caitlin, Steamie Stafford (no lines), Henry's Hero, Not Now, Charlie!, The Lost Puff (no lines), The Thomas Way, The Phantom Express (cameo, no lines), No Snow for Thomas (cameo, no lines), The Missing Christmas Decorations, The Frozen Turntable, Gone Fishing, The Afternoon Tea Express, The Smelly Kipper and Thomas' Shortcut (cameo, no lines)
- Series 18 - Old Reliable Edward, Flatbeds of Fear (cameo, no lines), Signals Crossed, Toad's Adventure (mentioned), Duck and the Slip Coaches, Marion and the Pipe, Missing Gator (mentioned), Spencer's VIP, Long Lost Friend, Duncan the Humbug (cameo, no lines), The Perfect Gift (cameo, no lines), Emily Saves the World and Samson at Your Service
- Series 19 - Who's Geoffrey?, The Truth About Toby, Lost Property, Henry Spots Trouble, Toad and the Whale (cameo, no lines), Very Important Sheep, Salty All At Sea, Helping Hiro (cameo, no lines), The Beast of Sodor, Slow Stephen, Best Engine Ever, The Little Engine Who Raced Ahead, Philip to the Rescue, Thomas the Babysitter (cameo, no lines), The Other Side of the Mountain and Goodbye Fat Controller
- Series 20 - Sidney Sings, Toby's New Friend (mentioned), Henry Gets the Express, Diesel and the Ducklings, Bradford the Brake Van, Saving Time (mentioned), Pouty James, Letters to Santa (cameo, no lines), Love Me Tender (no lines), The Christmas Coffeepot (cameo, no lines), Over the Hill, Henry in the Dark, Three Steam Engines Gruff, Engine of the Future, Hugo and the Airship, Cautious Connor (no lines), All in Vain, and Buckled Tracks and Bumpy Trucks
- Series 21 - Dowager Hatt's Busy Day, Stuck in Gear (cameo, no lines), Hasty Hannah (cameo, no lines), Cranky at the End of the Line (cameo, no lines), Unscheduled Stops (cameo, no lines), Philip's Number, The Fastest Red Engine on Sodor, A Shed for Edward, Confused Coaches, Emily in the Middle and The Big Freeze
- Series 22 - Forever and Ever, Confusion Without Delay, An Engine of Many Colours (fantasy), Seeing is Believing, Samson and the Fireworks, Thomas' Animal Ark, Rosie is Red, Counting on Nia and Hunt the Truck
- Series 23 - The Other Big Engine (fantasy), Panicky Percy, Steam Team To The Rescue!, Rangers of the Rails (cameo; no lines), Gordon Gets the Giggles, Free the Roads (no lines) and Chucklesome Trucks
- Other - Thomas & Friends in 4-D: Bubbling Boilers (cameo, no lines)
He will appear in the twenty-fourth series.
- 1992 - Thomas and the U.K. Trip
- 2000 - Thomas and the Magic Railroad
- 2001 - James and the Magic Railroad
- 2002 - Thomas and the Magic Railroad 2
- 2005 - Calling All Engines!
- 2008 - The Great Discovery
- 2009 - Hero of the Rails
- 2010 - Misty Island Rescue
- 2011 - Day of the Diesels
- 2012 - Blue Mountain Mystery (cameo, no lines)
- 2013 - King of the Railway
- 2014 - Tale of the Brave
- 2015 - The Adventure Begins and Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure
- 2016 - The Great Race
- 2017 - Journey Beyond Sodor
- 2018 - Big World! Big Adventures!
Learning Segments: ===
- Series 8 - Sounds (pre-filmed footage cameo), Being on Time (pre-filmed footage cameo), The Children Wait for Gordon & Helping One Another
- Series 9 - Same Colour, Emily Respects, Which Route Should Thomas Take? (cameo), Knowing What to do, Getting Up Gordon's Hill & Who Respects Whom?
- Series 10 - Percy's Story
- Calling All Engines! - Which Diesel Engine with Which Steam Engine?
- Series 8 - Dot to Dot - Gordon,
- Series 9 Who's Under the Coal Dust? - James, Guess the Engine - Gordon, Which Engine for Which Job?, Job Destinations
- Series 10 - Who's Under the Coal Dust? - Gordon & Happy or Sad?
- Unknown - Pulling Coaches
- Welcome to the Island of Sodor Sam! (no lines)
- A Friendly Farewell
- Meet the Contenders: Philip of Sodor
- Meet the Contenders: Shooting Star of Sodor
- Meet the Contenders: The Flying Scotsman (mentioned)
- Meet the Contenders: Thomas of Sodor
- Space Mission (cameo)
- 1987 - Thomas and Gordon, Edward and Gordon, Thomas' Train, Thomas and the Trucks (mentioned), Thomas and the Breakdown Train, James and the Coaches (mentioned) and Thomas' Christmas Party (cameo)
- 1988 - James and the Troublesome Trucks (mentioned), James and the Express, The Golfers (does not speak), Tenders and Turntables, Trouble in the Shed, Percy Runs Away, Percy and the Signal, Wrong Road, Edward's Exploits, Thomas' Present, The Train Spotters, Duck Takes Charge, Cows and The New Coaches (cameo)
- 1989 - Gordon's Express, In a Sulk, Thomas and the Whistle, In a Muddle, An Important Visitor, Hurricane!, A Second Chance, The Party (cameo), The Missing Holly!, A Surprise for Thomas (cameo) and A Fishy Smell
- 1990 - Thomas For Sale, Rumours and Speculation, Edward and the Express, Timetable Trouble, The Backlog (does not speak), Percy and the Dragon, Henry's Forest (mentioned) and Go Easy
- 1991 - Duck's Service, Thomas and the Blue Wheel (does not speak) and Gordon Forgets
- 1993 - The Special Stationmaster!, Percy and the Parrot!, The Visitor and First with the Food! (mentioned)
- 1994 - Thomas and Trevor (not seen), The Nature Bus! (mentioned) and Puffing Pots!
- 1995 - Keeping Clean!, Gordon Gets Going!, Watch Out, Gordon!, The Engine Parade!, The New Guard (mentioned) and Keeping Clean!
- 1996 - Percy's Squeak!, Gordon's Spots!, Important Passengers!, Timetable Trouble, Thomas Takes a Ride!, The Little Line, Too Tired!, Sunday Schedule! and The Trouble With Mud!
- 1997 - Henry's Busy Day, Henry's Hills, Henry, 'Smile, Please!', April Fools, Gordon and Silly Skarloey!
- 1998 - The Red Squirrel!, Fancy Dress!, Runaway Percy! (mentioned), The Big Speech! (does not speak), The Posh Coaches, The Greenhouse Bus! (does not speak) The Exhibition! and James' Hotel!
- 1999 - Bill and Ben's Trick
- 2000 - Henry, Night Work (does not speak), The End of the Rainbow! (mentioned), Henrietta's Holiday, Lucky to be Lost! (cameo) and Painting the Shed (cameo)
- 2001 - A Special Story About Harold, Sir Handel, Harold Goes Quiet, Thomas Chimes In (does not speak), Snow Fun for Henry (cameo) and Hill Spill! (mentioned)
- 2002 - Henry Helps, Sodor Goes Pop!, The Blue Engine Club, Diesels and Steam Engines (cameo), Clean Up Chaos (does not speak) and Diesel's Drums (cameo)
- 2003 - Gordon's Surprise, The Boatshow (cameo), Harold's Bad Day (cameo), A Foggy Friend (cameo), The Most Beautiful Station (cameo), Harvey to the Rescue!, Cook Controller! (does not speak), Fast Food! (does not speak), Dirty Work, The Cat Controller! and Thomas Goes Squeak!
- 2004 - Rocket Power, Scrapes and Spills, The Train Trolley (does not speak), Thank You, Thomas!, Percy to the Rescue, Dockers' Dinner, Dirty Percy! (cameo), Harold's Bad Day (cameo), Edward to the Rescue!, Thomas Gets It Right, Scary Jack Frost (cameo), James' New Coat (cameo), A Nice Quiet Day, Fishy Business, On the Fast Track!, Problem Passenger, The Haunted Mine, Colour Quarrel!, Sparks Fly (cameo), Off to Market! (cameo) and The Talking Horse
- 2005 - Gordon's Snow Show, Slide and Ride (mentioned), Magic Mischief, Percy and the Magic Carpet (cameo), Eerie Engine, Henry's Forest, Spick and Span (does not speak), You Can Do it, Toby!, Model Engines, Hooray, Henry (does not speak), Percy and the Big Mistake (does not speak), A Treat for Trying (mentioned), Cat and Mouse (mentioned), Squeak, Rattle and Roll, Chickens to School, A Jumbo-Sized Surprise (cameo), Relay Rescue (does not speak), Edward the Great, As Good as Gordon and Choc-o-BoCo! (cameo)
- 2006 - No Trouble for Toby, First-class Carriage, Heavy Load, Splendid Sight (cameo), Saving Edward (cameo), Thomas, Emily and the Snowplow (cameo) and Thomas and the Statue
- 2007 - Airship, Everyone's Friend, The Santa Engine, Blown About! (does not speak), Seeing the Sights, Edward Strikes Out and Emily's Present (does not speak)
- 2008 - Fast and First! and Funny Faces! (does not speak)
- 2009 - Night Light Train (cameo)
- 2010 - The Best Present of All (does not speak), Henry Gets It Wrong! (cameo), Misty Island Rescue (cameo), The Water Wheel, Ready, Jet Set, Go! (cameo), Seeing Sheep! (does not speak), Percy Ploughs In!, Halloween Hats (mentioned; seen in toy form), Snow Tracks, Creepy Causeway, Bubble Trouble and Silly Billy (cameo)
- 2011 - Being Percy, Slowcoach Diesel, Smiles All Round, O, the Indignity!, Rosie's Really Useful Scrap!, Steam on Stamps (mentioned), Victor Says Yes (does not speak), Thomas and Scruff (does not speak), Making Annie Smile, Tickled Pink, Speedy Spencer (mentioned), Snow Tracks, Bird Talk, Show Time (does not speak), Heave Ho Thomas! (cameo), Perfect Plough (cameo), Ready, Jet Set, Go! (cameo), Rope Rescue (cameo) and Fuss and Fumes (mentioned)
- 2012 - Rescue Team, Percy's New Friends, Flaming Flynn (does not speak), Express Delivery!, Fiery Flynn!, Express Coming Through!, Edward the Hero (does not speak), Clever James (cameo), Paint for Percy (cameo), Hooray for Henry (does not speak), Sound Around, Paint for Percy (cameo), The Railway Show (mentioned), Sand Express, Up, Up and Away! (mentioned), Thomas and the Rubbish Train, Thomas and the Sound of Sodor (does not speak), Clock Countdown, Express Delivery!, Percy the Snowman (does not speak) and Thomas Toots the Crows (does not speak)
- 2013 - Gordon and Ferdinand, The Fat Controller's Bedtime Story (Issue 657) (cameo), Flash! Crash! Wallop!, Whiff's Wish (mentioned), Sodor Surprise Day (speaks in speech bubble only), Early Bird!, Being Percy (does not speak), James and the Giant Animals, Henrietta's Holiday, The Lost Puff (mentioned), Thomas the Spotter (mentioned), Platform Number 1!, Gordon Runs Dry, The Railway Rink (cameo) and Henrietta's Holiday
- 2014 - Engine Trouble, Valentine's Surprise, The Royal Carriage, Confusion and Delay, The Afternoon Tea Express, The Extra-Special Solo (speaks in speech bubble only), Harvey the Crane Engine (mentioned), Leaves on the Line!, Frozen Turntable, Not Now, Charlie! (cameo) and Speedy Steamies
- 2015 - Old Reliable Edward, Signals Crossed (does not speak), Easter Egg Express, Silent Puffing!, Don't Be Late, Percy! (speaks in speech bubble only), The Perfect Present (does not speak), Bust My Buffers!, Henrietta's Holiday and Not Now, Charlie! (cameo)
- 2016 - Thomas Toots the Crows (does not speak), Tickled Pink!, Victor Says Yes, Henry Spots Trouble and Speedy Steamies
- 2017 - Engine Trouble, Not Now, Charlie! (cameo), Flash! Crash! Wallop!, Bedtime Story and Diesel and the Ducklings (cameo)
Gordon also appears in the magazine stories, A Long Way Up!, A Puzzle for Percy, A Special Story about Steam, Arthur and Emily, Back-to-Front, Behind Schedule, Bricks and Tunnels, Clean Getaway!, Diesel's Nasty Turn, Fast Food!, Fish and Fog!, Flying James, Gordon and Edward, Gordon the Town Engine, Henry's Secret, High-Speed Henry, How Does Percy Work?, Lazy Wheels, Leaves on the Line, Letting off Steam!, Looking Splendid, Lots of Luggage, Mighty Magnet!, Percy's Plight, Percy and Terence, Picture Posters, Proud Percy!, Railway Open Day, Really Useful Edward, Rhyming Engines, Rude James, Rushing Around, Rusty and the Cheeky Boys, Sodor Goes Pop!, Sodor Rock, Squeaky Wheels, Steaming!, Steaming Along!, Stick with Steam, Stolen Apples, Super Stunt, That Caps it All, The Best Engine, The Big Ship, The Blue Engine Club, The Cloud Factory!, The Lighthouse Light, The Runaway Percy and The Strongest.
- 1985 - Gale Warning (cameo) The Strawberry Special (mentioned) and James' Rest Cure
- 1986 - Old Groaner (does not speak) and Gordon's Stowaway
- 1987 - Percy's Passengers
- 1988 - Percy and the Brake Van (mentioned) and Responsibilities
- 1989 - Trapped by Trees
- 1990 - Old Square Wheels and Points of No Return
- 1991 - Near Miss (does not speak)
- 1992 - Galloping Sausage
- 1993 - The Hut that Walked by Itself
- 1994 - James' Rest Cure
- 1995 - The Picnic Express
- 1996 - All Pull Together (mentioned), The Wrong Shirt and Pantomime Pranks (mentioned)
- 1997 - Percy in Print and We Wish You a Merry Christmas!
- 1998 - Percy Plays a Joke, Rescue and The Star of the Show
- 1999 - Leaves on the Line (does not speak)
- 2000 - Thomas the Famous Engine, Buzzing Bees! and Star Engines
- 2001 - Very Special Engines , Thomas the Famous Engine, The Good Old Days (mentioned) and Edward Saves the Day
- 2002 - "That's the Way to Do It!" (cameo) and The Really Useful Traction Engine
- 2013 - Gordon's Shortcut
- 2013 Holiday Annual - The Biggest Present of All (does not speak)
- 2008 - Begins Educational Learning
- Gordon was named after a rude neighbour who lived on the same street as the Awdry family when Rev. W. Awdry was a child.
- As of the Big World! Big Adventures! series, Gordon is the only remaining member of the Steam Team to have first appeared in the first Railway Series book, The Three Railway Engines. Edward and Henry also debuted in said book, but they were demoted in favour of Nia and Rebecca in order to even out the amount of male and female members in the group.
- Gordon is one of four remaining members of the Steam Team to originate from the Railway Series, along with Thomas, James and Percy.
- Gordon was originally the largest engine in the Steam Team. As of Series 22, this title has now been taken over by Rebecca.
- Gordon is the last remaining Steam Team member to be voiced by Keith Wickham, due to the removal of Edward and Henry (for Nia and Rebecca respectively) and recasting of James and Percy.