Judy and Jerome are both heavy sleepers, but take their jobs very seriously, usually only awaking if there is an emergency (or if they think there is). The two also seem to be very talkative. They are always ready for an emergency and respond with zeal and vigour and enjoy working.
Judy and Jerome are based on a Cowans Sheldon 30 ton breakdown crane. The Chinese and Indian cranes are also members of this class.
Judy and Jerome are painted dark green-grey with yellow hazard stripes along their sides. They have brass nameplates on the sides of their cabs.
- Aside from the addition of faces and nameplates, Judy and Jerome differ slightly in design from the original incarnation of the Breakdown Train:
- The cable to raise and lower their crane arms was moved to their roofs, rather than being attached to a smaller arm.
- Their cabs are slightly taller and their crane mechanisms are slightly shorter to accommodate faces.
- They have yellow hazard stripes, which were originally not present.
- Judy is the first female crane in the series.
- Although they now live in Arlesburgh Yard as of the twentieth series, they were seen in their siding at Knapford again in Journey Beyond Sodor.