Merrick is a rail-based travelling gantry crane, who is stationed at the Blue Mountain Quarry.
Thomas & Friends
In Blue Mountain Mystery, when Blondin Bridge was unsafe, Merrick warned the engines that Rheneas was coming down from the upper terrace and would have to cross the bridge with loaded trucks. When Thomas asked him if he had seen a little green engine, he quickly answered that he had not. Later, he congratulated Luke for saving Thomas.
In the seventeenth season, Luke tried to get him, Owen and the other engines at the quarry to be quiet in order to not frighten Luke's deer, but Merrick told him that there was no way they could do their jobs properly if they were trying to be quiet.
Merrick is a sleepy gantry crane who works at the Blue Mountain Quarry. When there is no work to do, he is usually found snoring away, which can sometimes be heard loudly around the quarry, often to the amusement of the engines and workmen. But as soon as there is work to be done, Merrick is cheerily bustling about, wide awake once again and working hard, ready to swing his hook into action to load an engine's trucks with blocks of slate so that they can head over the Blondin Bridge to the cutting sheds. When he is awake, he is attentive, merry and will often wish the engines a good morning.
Merrick's specific basis is currently unknown.
Merrick is painted vermillion with yellow and gold accents. He has gold nameplates on both sides of his cab.
Thomas & Friends
- Series 16 - The Christmas Tree Express (cameo)
- Series 17 - Luke's New Friend and Gone Fishing (does not speak)
- Series 18 - Samson at Your Service (cameo)
- Series 20 - The Missing Breakdown Train (cameo)
- Series 22 - The Case of the Puzzling Parts (cameo)
- Series 23 - Steam Team to the Rescue (cameo)
- Series 24 - The Great Little Railway Show
- 2012 - Blue Mountain Mystery
- 2013 - King of the Railway (cameo)
- 2012 - The Fat Controller's Bedtime Story (Issue 649) (speaks in speech bubble only; does not speak in US version)
- 2014 - Harvey the Crane Engine (does not speak) and Edward the Helpful Engine (cameo)
- Matt Wilkinson (UK/US)
- Oscar Bonfiglio (Latin America; Blue Mountain Mystery onwards)
- Tomohiro Tsuboi (Japan)
- Achim Buch (Germany; Blue Mountain Mystery only)
- Jurgen Uter (Germany; seventeenth series onwards)
- Oyvind Borgemoen Lyse (Norway; Blue Mountain Mystery only)
- Christoffer Staib (Norway; seventeenth series onwards)
- Leopoldo Ballesteros (Spain)
- Jukka Voutilainen (Finland; Blue Mountain Mystery onwards)
- Merrick was to be included in graphic from in the Take-n-Play set Spiral Tower Tracks with Diesel but he was removed for unknown reasons and replaced with Mavis.
- TrackMaster (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (cancelled, released 2014; discontinued)
- Take-n-Play (cancelled; discontinued)