Norman is an orange-red diesel shunter. He is often seen working around Vicarstown. He has a twin named Dennis.
Thomas and Friends
Norman was one of the diesels who took over the Sodor Steamworks. He later laughed at Flynn for not being able to rescue Thomas. Norman told Percy that Sidney had been on his hoist for two years and was there when he was given his new wheels. He also offered Thomas a place to sleep at the Dieselworks when the turntable at Tidmouth Sheds was frozen.
He was at the Dieselworks when Paxton returned after looking for him, Diesel, Sidney, Den and Dart.
When the Great Railway Show was being held, Norman was one of the engines who were hoping to be picked to compete, but he wasn't picked. Norman was later involved in an accident with Thomas, resulting in the tank engine being unable to compete in The Great Railway Show until he decided to compete there anyway.
Sometime later, he helped the other diesels do the steam engines' work when the coal delivery was delayed.
Norman's shape represents his twin Dennis, but he is a diesel engine who is much kinder and more willing to work. He wants to be liked by all the engines, whether they be steam or diesel engines. So he does his part at the Sodor Dieselworks and follows all of his orders. However, poor Norman often breaks down and he does not like that. Unlike Dennis, who is lazy, if Norman were fixed properly he would show what a Really Useful Engine he can be. He is also willing to help another engine in trouble.
Norman is based on the Bulleid Diesel prototype, No. 11001. Dennis is also based on this locomotive.
Norman is painted orange-red with yellow lining and has a dark grey roof.
Thomas & Friends
- Series 15 - Fiery Flynn
- Series 16 - Bust My Buffers! (cameo)
- Series 17 - The Missing Christmas Decorations and The Frozen Turntable
- Series 18 - Disappearing Diesels (cameo)
- Series 19 - Den and Dart (cameo) and Diesel's Ghostly Christmas (cameo)
- Series 20 - Sidney Sings (stock footage), Diesel and the Ducklings (cameo) and Engine of the Future (cameo)
- Series 21 - The Big Freeze (cameo)
- Series 23 - Diesel Do Right, Steam Team to the Rescue and Diesel Glows Away
- Series 24 - A New Arrival (cameo)
- 2011 - Day of the Diesels
- 2016 - The Great Race
- 2017 - Journey Beyond Sodor (cameo)
- 2018 - Big World! Big Adventures! (cameo)
- Day of the Diesels - Day of the Diesels
- The Great Race - Will You Won't You and I'm Full of Surprises (cameo)
- Journey Beyond Sodor - Somebody Has to be the Favourite (cameo) and I Want to Go Home (cameo)
- Big World! Big Adventures! - Where in the World is Thomas? (cameo)
- Series 22 - The Steam Team
- Kerry Shale (UK/US; Day of the Diesels - fifteenth series)
- Keith Wickham (UK/US; seventeenth series onwards)
- Nobuaki Kanemitsu (Japan; seventeenth series only)
- Kunihiro Kawamoto (Japan; The Great Race onwards)
- Bernard Demory (France and French speaking Canada)
- Paweł Galia (Poland)
- Øyvind Borgemoen Lyse (Norway; seventeenth series only)
- TBA (Norway; The Great Race onwards)
- Peter Weis (Germany; seventeenth series onwards, excluding The Frozen Turntable)
- Knud Riepen (Germany; The Frozen Turntable only)
- Juan Alfonso Carralero (Latin America; seventeenth series onwards)
- Fernando Castro (Spain)
- Samuel Harjanne (Finland; Day of the Diesels only)
- Jukka Voutilainen (Finland; fifteenth series only)
- TBA (Finland; seventeenth series onwards)
- Despite Norman's nickname being "Norm", he has been consistently referred to by his full name. He shares this dilemma with Paxton and Sidney.
- Norman's transmission wheel changed from red to black in the seventeenth series.
- Norman is the first character to have a unibrow.
- Norman shares the same horn sound as Dart.
- Norman was never named in Day of the Diesels with the exception of the song.
- Wooden Railway (discontinued; cancelled 2013 re-release)
- Take-n-Play (discontinued; cancelled 2013 re-release)