Norman is an orange-red diesel shunter. He is often seen working around Vicarstown. He has a twin named Dennis.
Thomas and Friends
Norman was one of the diesels who took over the Sodor Steamworks. He later laughed at Flynn for not being able to rescue Thomas. Norman told Percy that Sidney had been on his hoist for two years and was there when he was given his new wheels. He also offered Thomas a place to sleep at the Dieselworks when the turntable at Tidmouth Sheds was frozen.
He was at the Dieselworks when Paxton returned after looking for him, Diesel, Sidney, Den and Dart.
When the Great Railway Show was being held, Norman was one of the engines who were hoping to be picked to compete, but he wasn't picked. Norman was later involved in an accident with Thomas, resulting in the tank engine being unable to compete in The Great Railway Show until he decided to compete there anyway.
Sometime later, he helped the other diesels do the steam engines' work when the coal delivery was delayed.
Norman's shape represents his twin Dennis, but he is a diesel engine who is much kinder and more willing to work. He wants to be liked by all the engines, whether they be steam or diesel engines. So he does his part at the Sodor Dieselworks and follows all of his orders. However, poor Norman often breaks down and he does not like that. Unlike Dennis, who is lazy, if Norman were fixed properly he would show what a Really Useful Engine he can be. He is also willing to help another engine in trouble.
Norman is based on the Bulleid Diesel prototype, No. 11001. Dennis is also based on this locomotive.
Norman is painted orange-red with yellow lining and has a dark grey roof.
Thomas and Friends
- Series 16- Race To the Rescue (Cameo) & Busty My Buffer' (Cameo;Not Named In French)
- Series 17- The Missing Christmas Decoration
- Series 18- Disappearing Diesel (Does Not Speak), Signal Crossed (Cameo), Long Lost Friend (Cameo), & A Perfect Gift (Cameo),
- Series 19- Den & Dart (Cameo)
- Series 20- Sidney Sing (Stock; Footage; Does Not Speak), & Engine of Future (Cameo)
- Series 21- Springtime For Diesel (Cameo & The Big Freeze (Cameo)
- Series 22- Rosie Is Red (Cameo)
- Series 23- Diesel Do Right (Does Not Speak & Steam Team To Rescue (Not named; Does Not Speak)
- Series 24- A new arrival (Cameo & Emily to the Rescue (Cameo)
- 2011 - Day of the Diesels (Not Named)
- 2012- Blue Mountain Mystery
- 2016- The Great Race
- Day of the Diesels - Day of the Diesels
- The Great Race - Will You Won't You and I'm Full of Surprises (cameo)
- Journey Beyond Sodor - Somebody Has to be the Favourite (cameo) and I Want to Go Home (cameo)
- Big World! Big Adventures! - Where in the World is Thomas? (cameo)
- 2011 - Day of the Diesels: The Movie Storybook (does not speak) and The Ultimate Diesel Guide
- 2012 - Fire Engine Flynn (cameo)
- 2015 - Thomas Takes a Vacation (sticker only)
- 2016 - 6-Movie Coloring Collection (does not speak), The Great Race (does not speak), The Great Race: The Movie Storybook (does not speak) and The Great Railway Show (not named; does not speak)
- 2011 - Flaming Flynn (cameo)
- 2014 - Frozen Turntable (speaks in speech bubble only)
- 2015 - Thomas Saves the Day (mentioned)
- 2017 - Thomas Saves the Day (mentioned) and The Kind Diesel
- Kerry Shale (UK/US; Day of the Diesels - fifteenth series)
- Keith Wickham (UK/US; seventeenth series onwards)
- Nobuaki Kanemitsu (Japan; seventeenth series only)
- Kunihiro Kawamoto (Japan; The Great Race onwards)
- Bernard Demory (France and French speaking Canada)
- Paweł Galia (Poland)
- Øyvind Borgemoen Lyse (Norway; seventeenth series only)
- TBA (Norway; The Great Race onwards)
- Peter Weis (Germany; seventeenth series onwards, excluding The Frozen Turntable)
- Knud Riepen (Germany; The Frozen Turntable only)
- Juan Alfonso Carralero (Latin America; seventeenth series onwards)
- Fernando Castro (Spain)
- Samuel Harjanne (Finland; Day of the Diesels only)
- TBA (Finland; seventeenth series onwards)
- Despite Norman's nickname being "Norm", he has been consistently referred to by his full name. He shares this dilemma with Paxton and Sidney.
- Norman's transmission wheel changed from red to black in the seventeenth series.
- Norman is the first character to have a unibrow.
- Norman shares the same horn sound as Dart.
- Norman was never named in Day of the Diesels with the exception of the song.
- Wooden Railway (discontinued; cancelled 2013 re-release)
- Take-n-Play (discontinued; cancelled 2013 re-release)