Paxton is a young diesel shunter. He often brings slate down from the Blue Mountain Quarry to other parts of the Island of Sodor.
Thomas & Friends
Paxton was one of the diesels who took over the Sodor Steamworks.
Paxton often works at the Blue Mountain Quarry and was once involved in an accident there when Blondin Bridge collapsed. He was then sent to the Viscarstown Dieselworks for repairs.
Upon his return to work at the quarry, Paxton overheard Luke telling Thomas about how the little green engine knocked a yellow engine into the sea. Paxton told Diesel about what he had heard. Diesel decided that Luke should be punished and set out with Paxton to to expose Luke. However, Paxton felt bad and helped Thomas and Luke out by bringing Victor to talk to Luke and the Fat Controller.
Paxton almost got into a collision with Winston when he was a runaway, but luckily he stopped just in time. Afterwards, he warned Gordon to be checked over after an accident with stone. When Gordon ignored his warnings and broke down, Paxton brought him to the Steamworks to be repaired.
After Sir Topham Hatt told Paxton among other engines to be careful near the bumpy track, Paxton then messed around on the damaged track with Thomas, causing Thomas to collide with Toby. After Toby says Thomas "Lost his puff", Paxton searches for the "Puff" and makes himself look silly in front Stephen and Victor. He then learns that "Puff" means steam.
He was later used by Diesel 10 to steal Christmas decorations from Tidmouth Sheds, but soon lost patience and left to collect the truck that Sir Topham Hatt had told him to collect.
Diesel once got the other diesels to hide from him. This worried Paxton, believing them to have disappeared, but he eventually found Diesel, stranded on the branch line, with no fuel and shunted him to the next station for him to stock up.
At Christmas time, he was given the job of transporting a Christmas tree to Ulfstead Castle. But the tree caused him to derail and when Diesel passed by, he refused to help Paxton. That night, Paxton pretended to be the Ghost of Christmas Present to try and remind Diesel of the true meaning of Christmas, but Diesel was too scared to listen and ran away.
One day, he was pulling trucks when he found a train struggling on Gordon's Hill pulled by Samson along with Thomas as the back engine. He offered to help and pushed Samson and Thomas over Gordon's Hill.
Paxton is a young, gentle diesel who often works in or around the Blue Mountain Quarry and the Viscarstown Dieselworks. He is good-hearted and well meaning, but gullible, naive and easily misled. He also has a short attention span. He tends to be more of a follower than a leader and can sometimes find thinking for himself and making big decisions difficult. This may result in him being pressured into a situation he might not necessarily be comfortable with. However, if a friend is in trouble, Paxton will have the conscience and the self-assertion to do what he himself feels is right. As a result, the steam engines find that he is likeable and Paxton particularly looks up to Thomas at times. He also works alongside the narrow gauge engines frequently. However, Paxton can easily misjudge situations, misplace his trust in someone who might not have everyone's best interests at heart, particularly Diesel and is rather impressionable, but his good nature will ultimately show him for who he really wants to be.
Paxton is based on a BR Class 08 diesel-electric shunter. Over seventy members of this class survive today in preservation, while around 100 remain in service on the national rail network. They were in fact the most successful shunting engines in the world, with 996 of them built. Diesel, the Diesel Shunter, 'Arry, Bert, Splatter, Dodge, Ulli and the Mainland Diesels are other members of this class.
Paxton is painted dark green with yellow lining. His siderods and front bufferbeam are painted a rusty orange colour. His paint is chipped in places and shows signs of weathering.
Thomas & Friends
- Series 15 - Fiery Flynn
- Series 16 - Bust My Buffers! (cameo)
- Series 17 - Wayward Winston, Gordon Runs Dry, Luke's New Friend (cameo), The Lost Puff, The Missing Christmas Decorations and Thomas' Shortcut (cameo)
- Series 18 - Disappearing Diesels, Toad's Adventure (does not speak), Last Train for Christmas (does not speak) and Duncan the Humbug (cameo)
- Series 19 - The Truth About Toby, Henry Spots Trouble, Salty All At Sea (cameo), Den and Dart (cameo), Diesel's Ghostly Christmas, The Little Engine Who Raced Ahead (cameo), Philip to the Rescue (cameo) and Goodbye Fat Controller (cameo)
- Series 20 - Sidney Sings (stock footage cameo), Henry Gets the Express (cameo) and Saving Time
- Series 21 - Springtime for Diesel, A Most Singular Engine (cameo), Dowager Hatt's Busy Day (cameo), Philip's Number, Confused Coaches (cameo) and The Big Freeze
- Series 22 - Forever and Ever, Seeing is Believing (cameo), Apology Impossible, The Water Wheel (life lesson), Rosie is Red (cameo), The Case of the Puzzling Parts, Counting on Nia (life lesson; cameo) and Hunt the Truck (life lesson)
- Series 23 - Gordon Gets the Giggles, Diesel Do Right, Steam Team to the Rescue, Lorenzo's Solo (life lesson; cameo) and Diesel Glows Away
- Series 24 - The Great Little Railway Show (cameo)
- 2011 - Day of the Diesels
- 2012 - Blue Mountain Mystery
- 2013 - King of the Railway
- 2016 - The Great Race
- 2017 - Journey Beyond Sodor (cameo)
- 2018 - Big World! Big Adventures!
- 2013 - The Lost Puff and Gordon Runs Dry
- 2016 - Henry Spots Trouble
- 2017 - The Kind Diesel
- Keith Wickham (UK/US; Day of the Diesels only)
- Steven Kynman (UK/US; Blue Mountain Mystery onwards)
- TBA (Germany; Day of the Diesels - fifteenth series)
- Martin Brucker (Germany; Blue Mountain Mystery only)
- Tobias Diakow (Germany; King of the Railway onwards)
- Kunihiro Kawamoto (Japan)
- Martial Le Minoux (France and French speaking Canada)
- Dariusz Blazejewski (Poland)
- TBA (Norway; Day of the Diesels - fifteenth series)
- Scott Maurstad (Norway; Blue Mountain Mystery and King of the Railway)
- Christian Greger Strom (Norway; seventeenth series only)
- TBA (Norway; eighteenth series onwards)
- Dor Srugo (Israel)
- TBA (The Netherlands; Day of the Diesels - fifteenth series)
- Reinder van der Naalt (The Netherlands; Blue Mountain Mystery - nineteenth series)
- TBA (The Netherlands; The Great Race onwards)
- TBA (Latin America; Day of the Diesels - fifteenth series)
- Kaihiamal Martinez (Latin America; Blue Mountain Mystery onwards)
- Troells Toya (Denmark)
- Cesar Emilio (Brazil)
- Carlos Moreno (Spain)
- TBA (Finland; fifteenth series only)
- Jukka Voutilainen (Finland; Day of the Diesels only)
- Antti L. J. Paakkonen (Finland; Blue Mountain Mystery onwards)
- TBA (Russia; Day of the Diesels - eighteenth series)
- Anton Savekov (Russia; nineteenth season onwards)
- Despite Paxton's bio which claims he is always called by his nickname "Pax", he has been consistently referred to by his full name rather than his nickname. He shares this dilemma with Norman and Sidney.
- According to the Licensing Source 2015 book, Ian McCue, former producer of Thomas & Friends, stated that Paxton is his favourite character.
- Paxton was never named in Day of the Diesels outside the song.
- There have been a few changes in the television series as the series goes on:
- Series 19:
- His siderods gained a metallic hue.
- Big World! Big Adventures!:
- He gained a headlamp and taillamp.
- Series 19:
- According to the official Thomas & Friends Instagram, he and Diesel are not brothers, even through they are part of the same class.
"Um...er...excuse me! Um...I-I-I wonder if, er, someone could help me? M-maybe? Please?" (thund) "...Ow."
---Paxton after being buried in the rubble from Blondin Bridge, Blue Mountain Mystery
"Oh my! Oh my!"
---Paxton having to choose between finding Sir Topham Hatt or finding Victor, Blue Mountain Mystery
"Hi, Stephen. Thomas lost his puff and I'm trying to find it and...well, I thought that might be...the lost puff...up there..."
"Up there? Well, that's just a cloud..."
"Yes, of course. I knew that. A cloud. Okay...got to go. Great to see you. Bye, Stephen."
---Paxton talking to Stephen about Thomas' "lost puff", The Lost Puff, seventeenth season
- Wooden Railway (discontinued)
- Take-n-Play (discontinued; normal and talking)
- TrackMaster (discontinued)
- Classic Minis
- Chillin' Minis
- DC Super Friends Minis (as Lex Luthor)
- Graffiti Minis
- Glow in the Dark Minis
- Monster Minis
- SpongeBob SquarePants Minis (as The Flying Dutchman)
- Ice and Snow Minis
- TrackMaster Push Along