you may have been looking for the recycling pup
Rocky is a large breakdown crane, who is part of the Sodor Search and Rescue Team.
Thomas & Friends
When Rocky was new to Sodor, Gordon and Edward were skeptical about his abilities, noting that Harvey could travel under his own power. Later, Edward carelessly left the docks before his cargo was properly secured, causing pipes to spill onto the Main Line. Edward was adamant that Harvey could clear up the line, but the little crane engine was too small to finish the job quickly and as a result, Gordon crashed into the pipes. Edward returned to Brendam to pick up Rocky, who cleared the line and put Gordon back on the rails.
Since this incident, Rocky has become an invaluable asset to the railway. He is frequently called upon to lift loads and help out after accidents. He is based at the Sodor Search and Rescue Centre, but is seen at the docks and other places like Sodor Slate Quarry helping out. He also tells the other members of the search and rescue team about the calls to action.
However, Rocky sometimes gets into trouble of his own. Once he lifting a water tower to put on Duck's flatbed Thomas told him to move out of the way, only to get the tower smashed. Another time, Henry used him to move stuff off the track so no engine could get hurt only to cause confusion and delay of Toby's rescue. Once, James took him to help Duck out of a flooded track, but James was impatient and left before Rocky's crane arm could be secured down properly. Because of this, Rocky knocked over a signal, causing other engines to be unaware of the rescue and bash into it. Some time later, Rocky derailed near Ulfstead Castle and the rest of the rescue team had to learn to work together to help him.
Duck brought him to lift Thomas out of a deep cavern after the track had collapsed and he later pulled Captain Calles' Pirate Ship out too. He received credit for finding the ship even though Thomas had found it, which annoyed Thomas. Later, he rescued Thomas after he fell in the water and attended the Harwick Branch Line opening ceremony.
Rocky likes to lift heavy objects such as engines, coaches and the trucks. He is a friendly and careful crane and helps the engines when there is an accident. He takes pride in his work and is always happy to help.
Rocky is a Ransomes and Rapier 45-ton steam crane, built around 1945. A crane of this type is preserved on the Bluebell Railway
Rocky is painted brick red with yellow hazard stripes on his sides and back.
Thomas & Friends
- Series 10 - Edward Strikes Out, Big Strong Henry (does not speak) and Thomas and Philip's Big Day Out (cameo)
- Series 11 - Dream On (cameo), Hector the Horrid! (does not speak), Henry's Lucky Day, Gordon and the Engineer (cameo), Thomas and the Lighthouse (cameo), Hide and Peep (does not speak) and Thomas and the Runaway Car
- Series 12 - Steady Eddie (cameo), Rosie's Funfair Special (does not speak), Toby's Special Surprise (does not speak), Saved You! (does not speak), Don't Go Back (does not speak), Gordon Takes a Shortcut (does not speak) and Thomas Puts the Brakes On (does not speak)
- Series 13 - Percy's Parcel and Snow Tracks
- Series 14 - Henry's Health and Safety, Being Percy (does not speak), Merry Winter Wish (does not speak), Jumping Jobi Wood! (does not speak) and Merry Misty Island
- Series 15 - Gordon and Ferdinand, Toby and Bash (cameo), Edward the Hero (does not speak), James to the Rescue, Happy Hiro (cameo), Henry's Happy Coal (cameo), Let it Snow (cameo), Surprise, Surprise, Stuck on You, Kevin the Steamie (cameo) and Fiery Flynn
- Series 16 - Race to the Rescue, Express Coming Through, Percy and the Monster of Brendam, Flash Bang Wallop!, Thomas and the Rubbish Train, Percy and the Calliope (cameo), Salty's Surprise (cameo) and Welcome Stafford (cameo)
- Series 17 - The Thomas Way (cameo), The Phantom Express (does not speak), Too Many Fire Engines and Gone Fishing (does not speak)
- Series 18 - Flatbeds of Fear (does not speak), Duck in the Water and Thomas and the Emergency Cable (does not speak)
- Series 19 - The Beast of Sodor, Toad and the Whale, Salty All At Sea (cameo), Helping Hiro, Philip to the Rescue, Diesel's Ghostly Christmas (does not speak), Rocky Rescue and Wild Water Rescue
- Series 20 - Sidney Sings (cameo), The Missing Breakdown Train (mentioned), Mucking About (cameo) and Buckled Tracks and Bumpy Trucks
- Series 21 - Stuck in Gear (does not speak), The Fastest Red Engine on Sodor (cameo), A Shed for Edward (cameo) and Daisy's Perfect Christmas (cameo)
- Series 22 - Counting on Nia
- Series 23 - Untitled Max and Monty Episode (cameo)
- Other - Thomas & Friends in 4-D: Bubbling Boilers (does not speak)
He may appear in the twenty-fourth series.
- 2008 - The Great Discovery (does not speak)
- 2009 - Hero of the Rails
- 2010 - Misty Island Rescue
- 2011 - Day of the Diesels
- 2012 - Blue Mountain Mystery
- 2014 - Tale of the Brave (cameo)
- 2015 - Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure (does not speak)
- 2017 - Journey Beyond Sodor (cameo)
- Series 10 - Right Sized Engine for the Job and Diesels and Steamers (cameo)
- 2007 - Helpful and 'Happy'!, Edward Strikes Out, The Lost Spring (does not speak) and Wet Wait
- 2008 - Hide n' Peep! and Thomas and the Lighthouse! (cameo)
- 2010 - Misty Island Rescue (cameo), Trees and Tunnels, Snow Tracks, Fast and First! (cameo) and Percy's Parcel (cameo)
- 2011 - Gordon and Ferdinand (does not speak), Being Percy (does not speak), Snug in a Rug (mentioned), Wet Wait, Henry's Health and Safety (does not speak), Winter Wish (does not speak), Snow Tracks and Slowcoach Diesel (cameo)
- 2012 - A Special Shelter, Rescue Team (does not speak), Making Hiro Happy (cameo), Stuck on You, The Fat Controller's Bedtime Story (Issue 647) (mentioned), Snug in Rug (mentioned), Welcome Stafford, Flaming Flynn (mentioned) and Thomas and the Rubbish Train (mentioned)
- 2013 - Toby to the Rescue, Flash! Crash! Wallop! (does not speak), Being Percy (does not speak), Surprise, Surprise! (does not speak) and All in a Day's Rescue (mentioned)
- 2014 - The Thomas Way (cameo), Swanky Cranky! (does not speak), Harvey the Crane Engine (does not speak) and Speedy Steamies
- 2015 - Duck in the Water
- 2016 - James' Ghost Train! and Speedy Steamies
- 2017 - Flash! Crash! Wallop! (does not speak) and Speedy Steamies
Rocky also appeared in the magazine story, The Best Bridge.
- Matt Wilkinson (UK; Hero of the Rails onwards)
- William Hope (US; Hero of the Rails onwards)
- Kunihiro Kawamoto (Japan)
- Gerhart Hinze (Germany; Hero of the Rails - sixteenth season)
- Jurgen Uter (Germany; seventeenth season onwards)
- Anders Sundstedt (Norway; Hero of the Rails only)
- Christian Greger Strom (Norway; thirteenth - seventeenth season, excluding Day of the Diesels and Blue Mountain Mystery)
- Simen Sand (Norway; Day of the Diesels and Blue Mountain Mystery)
- Marco Guerrero (Latin America)
- Jaroslaw Domin (Poland)
- Pedro Bellini (Brazil)
- Fernando Castro (Spain)
- Yehonatan Magon (Israel)
- Petteri Hynonen (Finland)
- One of Rocky's television series models used to be on display in Canada at Nitrogen Studios.
- Rocky has a much taller cab than his basis, in order to accommodate a face.
- Although Rocky says in Duck in the Water that he must have his crane arm secured properly, in Season 19-20, Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure, and Journey Beyond Sodor, Rocky has still been transported without his crane arm lowered, which is very dangerous.
- Rocky does not have windows on the front of his cab, making it difficult for the operator to see what is happening.
- In the eleventh season episode Thomas and the Runaway Car, it was stated that Rocky was too heavy for Thomas to move. However, since the CGI switch, Thomas has been able to move him, as have several other smaller, weaker engines.
- The same goes for Percy in the fourteenth season. In Being Percy, Percy stated he was not strong enough to pull Rocky on his own, but since the nineteenth season, Percy has been able to move Rocky.
- Rocky has gone through some changes in the television series:
- Since the CGI switch-over, Rocky's face has been lowered down.
- In the nineteenth season, Rocky gains a tail lamp.
- At Days Out with Thomas events, Rocky has Bulgy's face.
- In his debut episode, Rocky had a whistle, which basically sounded like a regular standard train whistle. However, Rocky appears to lack a whistle in all of his future appearances.
"Hello, I'm Rocky. I can lift any engines to safety, and it will help you put you back on the tracks in no time."
---Rocky's website audio
- Wooden Railway (discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued outside Asia)
- TrackMaster (discontinued)
- Take Along (discontinued)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Take-n-Play (discontinued)
- Wind-up (Japan only)
- Wood (cancelled 2018, rerelease coming 2019)