Salty is a diesel shunter who works at Brendam Docks.
Thomas & Friends
Salty worked on an unnamed coastal railway for many years, where he acquired his vast collection of stories and songs and possibly his sailor's accent, before coming to Sodor to work at Anopha Quarry with Mavis, Bill and Ben. Salty was upset, being used to working near the sea, but he soon won the trucks over with his tales and sea shanties and as a reward for his hard work was sent to work at Brendam Docks.
Salty's presence at the docks led to Cranky having a huge distaste for Salty's stories. Cranky snapped at Salty when he pulled up and when Salty thought that Cranky needed company, this made him recall a story about a lonely old Grand Banks lighthouse keeper. He started to tell this story to Bill and Ben (who had not heard it before) which ended up infuriating Cranky, leading him to drop a load of pipes he had which ended up knocking over the Brendam Docks sheds. This ended up with Salty, Bill and Ben being trapped at Brendam Docks, which led to Salty telling the twins many stories all night. This ended up making Cranky very grateful when Harvey arrived to clear their line.
Gordon once told Salty to keep his distance in case he made his paint sooty, but Salty pointed out that his job requires him to get sooty and Gordon only does not know because he is too full of himself. When Gordon had to pull trucks, he decided to "show Salty how an express engine pulls trucks", but he ended up ignoring a "Go slow" sign and had a horrific accident. Salty apologised for teasing him and Gordon apologised for being too full of himself.
Later, he and Fergus saved a ship from crashing into the rocks, when the lighthouse lamp went out. He and Harvey later asked Murdoch about his past, which ended up annoying him.
Salty has shared many stories with his fellow engines that have often come into play later on. He told Percy that the carpet he was delivering might be magic and odd happenings convinced Percy and Gordon that it was.
Once, he accidentally ran over a flagpole that Henry was meant to deliver to the Scottish Castle.
He also told a story about a treasure on Sodor and Thomas followed all of Salty's clues and eventually found the treasure, just as the new Maritime Museum opened.
He later introduced Thomas to Billy, was one of the first engines to meet Stanley, looked at the docks for Thomas when he was missing, cheered at the docks when Thomas was found and tried to take some woodsmen into the forest, but was blocked by trucks.
Salty later told the engines about the "strange engines" (Bash, Dash and Ferdinand) that lived on Misty Island, a mysterious island not far from Sodor. He also told Thomas that the Star of Knapford could be magical.
He later told Percy about the "Monster of Brendam" and Edward tried to find him a present.
When Kevin was sent to work at Brendam Docks, Salty tried to make him feel better about working with Cranky. Later, Salty started experiencing engine trouble, but refused to go to the Dieselworks, as he was worried that the Fat Controller might send him back to the quarry if he was not useful. This concern was strengthened with the arrival of Porter. Salty went to the Dieselworks, but ended up crashing into a flatbed of fuel cans in his hurry to return to the Docks. The fuel made his wheels slip and he ended up colliding with a shipment of party decorations. Salty was now certain that he would be sent away, but, to his relief, the Fat Controller told him that he was meant to work with Porter, who had been sent to help him.
One foggy day, he told the engines about the flatbeds of fear, then he encouraged Percy when he was missing Gator, along with Porter, almost had a collision with Bill and Ben and also helped Timothy to play a trick on the twins.
Much later, Salty had been sent to work on the Mainland as they were short of an engine, but he was afraid to go on a ship and travel by sea. However, he overcame his fears thanks to Thomas, who reminded him of his past tall tales which scared the other engines. He later pretended to be the Ghost of Christmas Past to frighten Diesel and reminded him of his past mistakes.
He also told Edward, Henry, James, Cranky and Porter about a "lost pirate" when Henry saw Skiff and Sailor John and mistook them for a ghost boat the previous night.
Salty, along with Porter and Cranky were among the few who mistook Henry for a ghost, when he was accidentally given "glow-in-the-dark" paint at the Sodor Steamworks.
When the Great Railway Show was being held, Salty, amongst the other engines, wanted to compete in the events, but he was not chosen. He was also at the docks when twelve international engines came to Sodor by mistake on the ferry and then when one international engine bumped into Thomas, causing him to dangle over the ferry and she saved him, Thomas was too speechless to say anything because of how beautiful the engine looked, so Salty introduced Thomas to the engine, who introduced herself as Ashima.
When Harvey's crane stopped working completely when he was at Brendam Docks, he was too shy to ask Salty or Cranky for help, so to settle things, he decided to play a game of I-Spy while attempting to sneak out of the docks and when Harvey derailed at a tunnel, Salty almost collided into him, while finally being able to figure out what Harvey had spied. He also told the story of the Sea Serpents, who eventually worked together to get what they wanted; this convinced Cranky and Carly to start working together. He also thanked Nia for sorting out the trucks at the docks.
Unlike some diesels, Salty is easy-going, jolly, friendly and very practical. He also enjoys telling stories revolving around the sea and fantasy. His seafaring ways and nautical accent are sometimes ridiculed and teased by the other engines (though Percy and Thomas imitated his accent since they thought he was amazing), but his usefulness almost always helps the others overlook that. He can work with trucks like no other engine; this is due to his enjoyment of working to a musical rhythm like the trucks and it may also be due to his vast collection of sea shanties. He loves the sea so much that he pines for it when he is away from it for long periods of time. He was once afraid to travel by ocean due to his knowledge of sea tales, but he overcame that.
Salty is based on a BR Class 07 diesel shunter. The number he has, 2991, is a real BR number belonging to a member of the class; built in 1962, this locomotive escaped the cutter's torch by becoming a static generator at Eastleigh Railway Works and is still working there under the ownership of Knights Rail Services as of March 2007. This class of locomotives worked at Southampton Docks, where they replaced the older SR USA (Rosie's class) and LB&SCR E2 (Thomas's class) tank engines.
Salty is painted crimson with scarlet warning stripes along his body, yellow and black hazard stripes on his front and rear and yellow buffer beams with signs of rust. At the top of his forehead, he has the brim of a skipper's hat. His name is painted on his rear section and his number is painted on his cab sides, both in black.
In Salty's Surprise, it is revealed that due to a shortage of red paint, he was once painted green.
Thomas & Friends
- Series 6 - Salty's Secret, Harvey to the Rescue (cameo), No Sleep for Cranky, It's Only Snow (deleted scene) and Gordon Takes a Tumble
- Series 7 - Bill, Ben and Fergus (cameo), What's the Matter with Henry? (cameo), James and the Queen of Sodor (cameo), The Spotless Record (cameo), Salty's Stormy Tale, Peace and Quiet, Best Dressed Engine (cameo) and Not So Hasty Puddings (cameo)
- Jack and the Sodor Construction Company - Mud, Glorious Mud (cameo)
- Series 8 - Percy's New Whistle (cameo), Thomas to the Rescue, Emily's New Route (deleted scene), Edward the Great (cameo), Squeak, Rattle and Roll (does not speak), Thomas and the Circus, Fish, James Goes Too Far and Percy and the Magic Carpet
- Series 9 - Thomas and the Rainbow (cameo), Thomas and the Birthday Picnic (stock footage cameo), Henry and the Flagpole and Keeping Up with James (does not speak)
- Series 10 - Toby's Afternoon Off, Seeing the Sights (cameo) and Thomas and the Treasure
- Series 11 - Emily's Rubbish (deleted scene), Thomas Sets Sail, Don't be Silly, Billy, Hide and Peep (cameo) and Thomas in Trouble (does not speak)
- Series 12 - Henry Gets it Wrong
- Series 14 - Being Percy (does not speak), Merry Winter Wish and Thomas' Crazy Day (cameo)
- Series 15 - Gordon and Ferdinand (cameo), Percy's New Friends, Edward the Hero (cameo) and Tree Trouble (does not speak)
- Series 16 - Percy and the Monster of Brendam, Bust My Buffers!, Salty's Surprise, Sodor Surprise Day (cameo), Whiff's Wish (does not speak), Happy Birthday Sir! and The Christmas Tree Express (mentioned)
- Series 17 - Kevin's Cranky Friend, The Thomas Way (cameo), Not Now, Charlie!, Too Many Fire Engines (cameo), Away From the Sea and Gone Fishing (cameo)
- Series 18 - Old Reliable Edward (cameo), Flatbeds of Fear, Disappearing Diesels, Thomas the Quarry Engine, Missing Gator, No Steam Without Coal, Spencer's VIP (cameo), Toad's Bright Idea, Long Lost Friend, Emily Saves the World and Timothy and the Rainbow Truck
- Series 19 - Who's Geoffrey?, The Truth About Toby, A Cranky Christmas, Toad and the Whale, Salty All at Sea, Reds vs. Blues (cameo), The Little Engine Who Raced Ahead, Diesel's Ghostly Christmas and No Help at All
- Series 20 - Henry Gets the Express, Diesel and the Ducklings and Henry in the Dark
- Series 21 - Dowager Hatt's Busy Day (cameo), Stuck in Gear, Cranky at the End of the Line, New Crane on the Dock, A Shed for Edward, Emily in the Middle and The Big Freeze (cameo)
- Series 22 - Forever and Ever (fantasy, cameo), Confusion Without Delay, Seeing is Believing, Counting on Nia and Hunt the Truck
- Series 23 - Diesel Do Right, Steam Team to the Rescue and Panicky Percy (cameo)
- Other - Thomas & Friends in 4-D: Bubbling Boilers and Steam, Rattle & Roll Thomas
He will appear in the twenty-fourth series.
- 2005 - Calling All Engines! (does not speak)
- 2008 - The Great Discovery (does not speak)
- 2010 - Misty Island Rescue
- 2011 - Day of the Diesels
- 2013 - King of the Railway (cameo)
- 2014 - Tale of the Brave
- 2015 - The Adventure Begins (song; cameo) and Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure
- 2016 - The Great Race
- 2017 - Journey Beyond Sodor (cameo)
- 2018 - Big World! Big Adventures! (cameo)
- Series 6 - Down by the Docks, Winter Wonderland and Boo! Boo! Choo-Choo
- Series 7 - Five New Engines in the Shed and Salty
- Series 8 - A World Around You and Ode to Gordon
- Calling All Engines! - Trying
- Series 9 - Pride
- Jack and the Sodor Construction Company - The Work Song
- Series 10 - Doing it Right, Favourite Place and Responsibility
- The Great Discovery - Where, oh Where is Thomas? and Thomas, You're the Leader
- Misty Island Rescue - Misty Island Rescue
- Series 14 - All You Need
- Day of the Diesels - Day of the Diesels
- Series 17 - Hey, Hey Thomas! and On a Journey Today
- Series 18 - The Best Friends Express
- Thomas' YouTube World Tour - Down by the Docks, Navigation, Never, Never, Never Give Up, The Island Song, Ode to Gordon and Rules and Regulations
- Series 19 - There's Snow Place Like Home, Spring is Here!, Engine Roll Call and Down by the Docks
- Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure - We Make a Team Together (cameo)
- Series 20 - It's Halloween and James the Really Splendid Engine
- The Great Race - Will You Won't You
- Journey Beyond Sodor - I Want to Go Home (cameo)
- Series 21 - Doing it Right, Trying and Little Engines
- Series 22 - Engine Roll Call and The Steam Team
- Calling All Engines! - Thomas Looks for Mavis (does not speak)
- Series 9 - Who's Under the Coal Dust? - James (does not speak), Emily Respects (does not speak) and Where Can Neville Find Salty? (does not speak)
- Season 10 - Old Route New Route (cameo) and Where is Salty's Favourite Place to Work? (does not speak)
- 2003 - Shipwrecked!, Flying Fish!, Seaside Salty and Revving Racers (mentioned)
- 2004 - Salty by the Sea, It's Only Snow!, Name Fame (does not speak), On the Beach, Ship Ahoy!, Dockers' Dinner, Snake's Alive! (cameo), Salty Gets Wet, Salty's Tales (does not speak), Sparks Fly and Glider Rider(does not speak)
- 2005 - Fresh Fish, Percy and the Magic Carpet, Passenger Pick Up, Trying Time (cameo), Sail Spotting, The Dinosaur and Salty and the Trucks
- 2006 - Disgusted Diesels
- 2007 - Toby's Afternoon Off and BoCo the Brave (does not speak)
- 2008 - Funny Faces! and Perfect Promise (does not speak)
- 2010 - In a Spin (does not speak), Henry Gets It Wrong!, Disgusted Diesels (does not speak) and Percy and the Magic Carpet
- 2011 - A Home for Salty, Too Tired, Salty's Surprise!, Creepy Claw, Taking a Break, Winter Wish (does not speak) and Percy's New Friends (speaks in speech bubble only)
- 2012 - Edward's Big Rescue, The Fat Controller's Bedtime Story (Issue 644), Keeping up with James (cameo) and Taking Toby
- 2013 - Happy Birthday, Sir!, Being Percy (cameo) and Kevin's Cranky Friend (does not speak)
- 2014 - Salty's New Friend, Happy Birthday, Sir!, Swanky Cranky! and Not Now, Charlie! (cameo)
- 2015 - Missing Gator and Not Now, Charlie! (cameo)
- 2016 - Who's Geoffrey? (mentioned)
- 2017 - Not Now, Charlie! (cameo) and The Kind Diesel
Salty also appeared in the magazine stories, Diesel Display, Diesels with Measles!, Fish and Fog!, Glider Rider, Gone Fishing, Hooked Hat, Sea-Bound Salty, Seeing Sails and So Many Stories.
- Welcome to the Island of Sodor Logan! (does not speak)
- Welcome to the Island of Sodor Sam! (stock footage cameo)
- Shark Escape
- Salty differs slightly from his basis. Most Class 07s have a crankshaft at the end of their siderods. Salty lacks this feature.
- Salty speaks with a West Country accent, which matches his bio and his deep love for the sea.
- Some Nitrogen Studios promos of Salty lack the rust on his bufferbeams.
- One of Salty's models used to be on display at Nitrogen Studios.
- A production-made face of Salty is preserved by the Coffey Man Preservation from the Prop Gallery.
- One of Salty's happy face masks is now in possession of Twitter user ThomasTankMerch.
- In certain regions during the Days Out with Thomas events, he had Mavis' face.
- Keith Wickham (UK/US; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- Walter Wigand (Germany; sixth series onwards; excluding Audio Books)
- Carlos Goldberg (Germany; Audio Book 9 only)
- Erik Schäffler (Germany; Audio Book 14 only)
- Christian Greger Strøm (Norway; Misty Island Rescue - seventeenth series, excluding Day of the Diesels and Tale of the Brave)
- Simen Sand (Norway; Day of the Diesels and Tale of the Brave only)
- TBA (Norway; eighteenth series onwards)
- Michel Lasorne (France and French speaking Canada; eighth - twelfth series)
- Bernard Demory (France and French speaking Canada; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- Naoki Tatsuta (Japan; sixth - eighth series)
- Ryuzou Ishino (Japan; ninth series onwards)
- Jarosław Domin (Poland; Misty Island Rescue only)
- Zbigniew Konopka (Poland; fourteenth series onwards)
- Jorge Santos (Latin America; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- Danny Houtkooper (The Netherlands; Misty Island Rescue only)
- Paul Disbergen (The Netherlands; fourteenth series onwards)
- Gadi Levy (Israel, fifteenth series onwards, excluding Tale of the Brave and Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure)
- Dor Srugo (Israel; Tale of the Brave and Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure only)
- Francisco Bretas (Brazil)
- Jorge Teixeira (Spain)
- Gaetano Lizzio (Italy)
- TBA (Russia; fourteenth series-sixteenth series)
- Denis Bespalyy (Russia; seventeenth series onwards)
- Pasi Ruohonen (Finland; Misty Island Rescue onwards)
- “Here comes 'Mr. Showoff'!" grouched Ben.
"You have to admit, he's got a knack with those trucks!" said Mavis.
"Driver says he'll bore the bolts off us with his stories!" huffed Bill.
But Salty didn't say a word. He didn't come near the shed. Mavis was worried, she rolled alongside and asked him what he was doing on his own.
"Oh, I thought I might catch a bit of sea breeze."
"You really do miss the sea, don't you?" asked Mavis.
"Aye, I do.”
- ―Mavis shows sympathy for Salty, Salty's Secret, sixth series
- “Don't take me away from the sea boys... Don't take me away from the sea!”
- ―Salty and Porter singing, Away From The Sea, seventeenth series
- “Clattering Columbus! The world is heading straight for us!”
- ―Salty, Emily Saves the World, eighteenth series
- “We wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas and a Salty new year!”
- ―Salty singing, A Cranky Christmas, nineteenth series
- “Every creak is another step near the scrap yard.”
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (regular; reintroduced, green, talking, oil splattered and battery powered; all discontinued)
- Take Along (discontinued)
- Take-n-Play (normal, talking and pull back; all discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail
- TrackMaster (normal, talking, battery-operated and green versions; all discontinued)
- TrackMaster Push Along
- Motorized Railway
- My First Thomas (talking; discontinued)
- My Thomas Story Library (talking; discontinued)
- Tomica (cancelled)
- Capsule Plarail
- Pocket Fantasy (discontinued)
- LEGO (discontinued)
- Mega Bloks
- Discover Junction
- Collectible Railway
- Push Along
- Classic Minis
- Old School Minis
- Spooky Minis
- DC Super Friends Minis (as Aquaman and Clark Kent)
- Sports Minis
- Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Minis (as Finster)
- Back to School Minis (School Bus)
- Neon Glow Minis
- Icky Minis (Sandwich)
- Adventures (discontinued)
- Wood (2019; coming soon)