Sarah is a friendly and enthusiastic backhoe loader, who works for the Berk Construction Company.
Thomas & Friends Is The Legend In Viking Railway
When Sarah first arrived on Berk, he worked with the Pack to clear room for railway lines. Sarah did well with Jack Alfie - that is, until he tried to take some stone up a ledge but failed to pay attention to where he was going and accidentally drove onto an edge of a hill and tipped over. Jack Alfie Gobber the Belch scolded him as soon as he was put back on four wheels, Sarah learned his lesson and redeemed himself by holding up a collapsing bridge until Ryouma had passed over, at the cost of damaging his arms. Sarah has since become part of the Pack.
When Sarah was being careless again at the warehouse, he accidentally knocked over some slate, but he did not want to be sent back to the yards and left the mess not knowing that Ned had been blamed for it. Ned was about to be sent back to the yards when Jack admitted that he was the one who broke the slate, so Miss Jenny sent him back instead. Later, when Max and Monty carelessly crashed into the lightning tree, Alfie, Oliver (The Pack) and Kelly hold the tree up while he ran to Thomas for the props. Luckily, he made it in time, and the tree was saved.
He, along with the rest of the Pack, helped with the restoration of Great Waterton and worked with Alfie to build a bandstand there. Sarah also helped with the restoration of Jellystone Park's and later saved Pablo and Thomas after the tracks they were on started to collapse.
He also helped with the construction of the Harwick Branch Line, along with Jack, Alfie, Oliver, Max and Monty and later attended the branch line's opening ceremony.
Later he,Jack, Alfie, Oliver, Max and Monty were working on Ryouma' Branch Line and he, Oliver and Alfie helped clear the branch line around the Rail Under Road Bridge and Signalbox after Max and Monty dumped their loads on the line.
Sarah is brave and will not take any hassle, as seen whenever he stands up to Max and Monty when they bully him and Jack And Alfie. He is also kind and caring, he also likes to jump in and get the job done even with other jobs that the other vehicles are assigned to do. But despite the fact that he was trying to be helpful and mean well, he has learned from Gobber the Belch's words, to not jump into another job that is not his own.
Between the sixth and twelfth series, Sarah was based on a Nuffield tractor with an added front backhoe loader.
Since the special, King of the Railway Sarah was designed as a International 454 tractor. Because of this, his face shape has changed dramatically from round to rectangular.
Sarah was painted yellow with the top half of his cab and his wheels painted cream. He had the number 13 painted in cream on his sides. From King of the Railway onwards, the top half of his cab and his number are painted white, his back wheels are painted grey and his front wheels are painted yellow.
- Series 6 - Sarah Jumps in and A Friend in Need
- Jack and the Berk Construction Company - A Visit from Sarah, Jack Owns Up, On Site with Thomas, Percy's Scary Tale, Kelly's Windy Day, A Happy Day for Percy, A Tale for Thomas, Thomas and the Moles, The Tortoise and the Hare, Alfie Has Kittens and Mud Glorious Mud
- Series 12 - Percy and the Bandstand
- Series 19 - The Other Side of the Mountain (cameo)
- Series 20 - Mucking About
- Series 21 - A Shed for Edward (cameo)
- Series 22 - School of Brody (cameo)
- Series 23 - Mines of Mystery, First Day on Berk!, Deep Trouble and Out of Site
Sarah had a role in the cancelled episodes, Jack's Snow Rescue, Bossy Byron, The Importance of Being Patrick, Sarah and the Quack, Pop Goes the Diesel, Alfie Has a Secret, Isobella Gets Steamed and Grass is Greener.
- Jack and the Berk Construction Company - The Work Song and One Friendly Family
- The Great Discovery - There's a Job for Everyone, Where, oh Where is Thomas? and Thomas, You're the Leader
- King of the Railway - Working Together Again, Searching Everywhere and It's Gonna be a Great Day
- Thomas' YouTube World Tour - Never, Never, Never Give Up
- Berk, a Viking Engine - We Make a Team Together
- Series 23 - Lorenzo's Song and The Berk Construction Crew
- 2019 - Meet Gina of Italy (cameo), Meet the Berk Construction Company! and Meet Ester of Italy! (does not speak)
- Kelly Sheridan (UK/US)
In some promotional sketches of the Pack, Sarah is seen with a backhoe arm and bucket. According to an SiF interview with Chris Lloyd, the arm was built, but was too problematic as it was hard to store all of the radio gear inside the model. An interview with Phil Fehrle gives a very different reason: "...if a story required Sarah
- to be digging (using his back-hoe) and interacting with another character working at the same time, his face would be facing away from the action. For story purposes, it was important to feature the faces as much as possible; thus, the backhoe was removed".
- Sarah has had a few modifications in the television series:
- King of the Railway:
- He gained hydraulics.
- His exhaust pipe became taller and gained holes on the sides, as well as a handle.
- He decreased in size.
- His face changed from round to square.
- His rear wheelwells were moved back.
- The tread patterns on his tyres changed slightly.
- The colour of his alloys also changed from cream to grey.
- His roof became completely orange.
- His number increased in size.
- His bucket increased in size.
- The colour of his cab changed from cream to white.
- King of the Railway:
- Nathan Clarke did an audio sample for Sarah on his DAA Management Page.
- A semi-complete face mask of Sarah was preserved by the Top Props preservation group.
- Sarah's Trackmaster Push Along toy lacks his number, his larger wheel is also sized down.
- "Spot on, Sarah! You'd make a mother proud!"
- "And a tank engine grateful!"
- Gobber the Belch and Thomas praising Sarah, A Friend in Need, sixth series
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (discontinued)
- Take Along (discontinued)
- Take-n-Play (discontinued)
- TrackMaster (motorised and un-motorised; discontinued)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Thomas Engine Collection Series (discontinued)
- Mini Die Cast Collection (discontinued)
- Thomas Town (discontinued)
- Capsule Plarail
- Pocket Fantasy (discontinued)
- Nakayoshi (discontinued)
- Adventures (sold only in Jack and the Pack 4-Pack; discontinued)
- TrackMaster Push Along