Spamcan Takes a Swim is the first episode of The Sodor Sprite Series II, and the first episode of the first season.
The workload on Sodor is increasing, particularly in terms of freight traffic. The Fat Controller does not have enough money to buy a new resident engine, so he decides to borrow one from British Railways. Neville and Murdoch have mixed feelings about this, and when Duck and Gordon find out that Spamcan is the diesel in question, they are horrified. Spamcan berates the steam engines, and Murdoch suggests that he take his freight for him to prove that he is "better." He arrives at the NWR Diesel depot, where Norman warns Spamcan about an unsafe bridge en route to Ballahoo, but he ignores the warnings and proceeds anyway; resulting in the bridge breaking and Spamcan being submerged in the dirty water. When the Fat Controller finds out, he is furious, and sends the embarrassed diesel back home indefinitely. Neville and Murdoch now work even harder to ensure that he never returns.
- James (flashback only)
- Bear (flashback only)
- Splatter (flashback only)
- Dodge (flashback only)
- Diesel (flashback only)
- Arthur (cameo)
- Sir Handel (does not speak)
- Whiff (cameo)
- Stanley (cameo)
- Bowler (cameo)
- The Fat Controller
- Adams (cameo)
- Duke (cameo)
- Toad (does not speak)
- Samson (cameo)
- George (cameo)
- Spamcan's Driver
- Rocky (does not speak)
- Clarence (does not speak)
- Bertie (does not speak)
- Henry (does not speak)
- Norman and Dennis now work together, and they do not work at the Vicarstown Dieselworks, as the only works in the series is the Crovan's Gate Workshops (not the "Steamworks".)
- Adams appears even though he is not a Sudrian resident.
- Gordon has the whistle of a South African Garratt.
- Dennis' horn sound (in the writer's opinion) was intended to sound queer but amusing.
- SuperMarioKyle100 was originally the voice of Neville, but he was replaced by Steamdiesel as he was not able to deliver his lines on time.
- The opening prologue was entirely unscripted.
- Sir Handel appears on flatbeds as a reference to Sir Haydn's cross-country tour to raise money for her boiler appeal.
- This episode has been comprehensively re-written and re-done, and will be filmed instead using Trainz Railroad Simulator rather than sprites. The re-done episode is expected to be released soon, but it is presently unclear as to when it will.
- Bowler briefly levitates above the rails.
- The Sony Vegas Logo frequently appears in many of the still shots.
- The van at the end of Spamcan's train changes direction.
- A white line appears on the hills when Spamcan falls into the river.
Skarloey Rheneas: Narrator, Norman, Dennis
Steamdiesel: Neville, Spamcan
DanielArkansanEngine: The Fat Controller
Christian La Rocca: Murdoch
Matareblis Mdzgholi (მატარებლის მძღოლი): Spamcan's Driver