Stanley is a silver saddle tank engine. He works as both a shunting engine and a mixed traffic engine.
Thomas & Friends
Stanley was brought to Sodor to take care of Thomas' workload during the restoration of Great Waterton. It had to be ready by Sodor Day. Upon his arrival, Stanley became very popular and enjoyed the company of the engines.
Stanley's popularity caused Thomas to feel jealous and later neglected. Thomas felt that Stanley was newer, bigger, and stronger than he - and would take over his place on the railway. Thomas then planned to make Stanley look weak - the trick backfired and caused Thomas' friends to consider him mean and incompetent.
When Thomas later went missing, Stanley was the first to realise Thomas' feelings. He searched for Thomas until he finally managed to find him in a ditch and rescue him. Then, both became friends and with a combined effort made it back to Great Waterton in time to prepare for the opening celebrations.
Stanley later worked in the yards with Thomas and James during the winter and helped with the rebuilding of the Sodor River Bridge. Also, he went to Great Waterton with Gordon to pick up passengers, and when Gordon bumps into a flatbed being pushed by Ben, he warns Stanley about the fallen logs and is able to warn him just in time.
Stanley was amongst the engines at Knapford who were worried about Percy's whereabouts when Percy was spending his time with the Diesels at the Dieselworks. Later on in the winter, he suffered from a faulty firebox and Thomas came to his aid once again.
More recently, Stanley can be seen working at the Shunting Yards, the China Clay Works and Ffarquhar Quarry. Salty also mentioned that Timothy , in one of his spooky stories, was an old engine who lost his flatbeds while climbing a hill, and ever since then his flatbeds have been stated to haunt the rails. When Samson backed onto Gordon's express coaches by accident when he was told to take stone to the Blue Mountain Quarry, Stanley tried to inform Samson that he had made a mistake, but the cabless tank engine refused to listen to Stanley, while proving not to make another mistake.
Stanley was also one of the engines told about the rumour of Toby being scrapped.
He later helped with the construction of the Harwick Branch Line and was also the first engine to cross the unstable track that the Pirate Ship was under.
He also shunted a train of shiny branch line coaches for James
- Series 12- James Works it Out, Thomas Put the Brakes On & Gordon Takes a Shortcut
- Series 14- Thomas in Charge (cameo) & Oh the indignity (cameo)
- Series 15- James to the Rescue (cameo), Suprise Suprise & Fiery Flynn (cameo)
- Series 16- Race to the Rescue (cameo), Ol' Wheezy Wobbles (cameo), Percy & The Monster of Brendam Ho Ho snowman (cameo), Flash Bang Wollop (cameo), Thomas & The Rubbish Train (Does not speak), Thomas Toot The Crow's (cameo), Bust My Buffer's (cameo), Percy & Calliope (cameo), Salty Suprise Template:Not Named; Does Not Speak, Sodor Suprise Day (cameo), Emily Winter Party Special (cameo) Whiff Wish (Cameo), Happy Birthday Sir (Mentioned) & The Christmas Tree Express (Stock fotage; cameo)
- Series 18 - Old Reliable Edward (cameo), Not So Slow Coaches (does not speak), Signal Crossed (Cameo), Toad Adventure (cameo), Thomas the quarry engine (cameo), Marion & Pipe (cameo), Spencer VIP (Stock Footage Cameo), A perfect Gift (cameo), Emily Saves The World (Stock Footage Cameo) & Samson at your Service
- Series 19- The Truth about Toby, Henry Spot Trouble (cameo) & Best Engine Ever (cameo)
- Series 20- Sidney Sing's (mentioned) & Pouty James
- Series 22- An Engine of Many Colors (fantasy; cameo)
- Series 23 - Steam Team to Rescue
- Series 24- James the Super Hero (cameo)
- The Great Discovery
- Day of Diesel
- Blue Mountain Mystery (cameo)
- Tale Of Brave (cameo)
- Sodor Legend lost Treasure
- The Great Race
- Big World Big Adventure (cameo)