Thomas and the Magic Railroad (also known as Thomas the Tank Engine: The Magic Railroad in the United Kingdom and Germany) is a 2019 American 3D live-action/CGI animated family comedy adventure fantasy film directed by Robert Zemeckis and Britt Allcroft based on three titled The Railway Series by Rev. W. Awdry, on the television series of the character from the same name and Shining Time Station by Britt Allcroft.
The film is a remake of the 2000 original film of the same name by the same director who created the film named Britt Allcroft, but it was a box-office bomb and a critical failure from critics and the fandom of the book and the show for the plot that was changed from the original cut, terrible acting, and the editing which had made the editor shortened the time of the main character and removed the true villain when it released on 2000, which in the 2019 version, it has all the characters like P.T.S.D. Boomer, Elon Musk and even George from the film and not been edited from before along with the help of Robert Zemeckis.
It was produced by ImageMovers, Legendary Pictures, and HiT Entertainment, presented in association with the Isle of Man Film Commission, and distributed by Paramount Pictures in US prints and along with Sony Pictures Entertainment (who originally known as Destination Films also created the 2000 film) in US and international prints.
The film was a box office success and it received critical acclaim, with critics praising the faithfulness to the 2000 film's original director's cut, the visual effects, the CGI animation on the trains, splendid acting, well-developed characters, and the plot along with the performance of Nicolas Cage as P.T.S.D. Boomer. The film also become the fourth highest grossing film and won eight Academy Awards and received eight Academy Award nominations. At the UK, the film had won three BAFTA Film Awards and also got one BAFTA nomination.
- 1 Plot
- 2 Cast
- 3 Production
- 4 Release
- 5 DVD or Blu-Ray Main Menu
- 6 Reception
- 7 Sequels
- 8 Trivia
The film begins with a female narrator telling the story on the Island of Sodor, where it was populated by talking trains, which the only one here was Thomas the Tank Engine. Thomas is a really useful engine who is very kind to his friends. A few seconds later, Thomas met Gordon at Wellsworth Station, telling him that Sir Topham Hatt was gone for a holiday. But then, Diesel 10 rudely pass both Thomas and Gordon, which means that Diesel 10 was sent to the Island of Sodor by Sir Topham Hatt for helping, but he was acting like he was bullying any engines.
- Ariel Winter as Lil Peep, the main protagonist and the granddaughter of Bernie Sanders. She lives in the city with her mother. With the help of her grandpa, Patchy the Pirate and Thomas, they helped restore Lady to her former glory and returned the magic to the Magic Railroad.
- Owen Wilson as Bernie Sanders, the tetartagonist who is Lady's caretaker on his workshop at Muffle Mountain. Long ago, he only shared the secret of Lady with Elon Musk, his childhood friend.
- Josh Hutcherson as Teenage Burnett
- Max Charles as Young Burnett
- Mark Moraghan as Mr. Fietsopa, the deuteragonist of the film and a 20-centimetre tall conductor who narrated the television series episodes that appeared in Shining Time Station.
- Moraghan also as himself and the narrator of the film.
- Donovan Patton as Mr. Fietsopa, Junior, Mr. Fietsopa's cousin. Like his cousin, he is at a regular height on Sodor and the Magic Railroad - anywhere else, he shrinks to a height of 24 centimetres (ten inches).
- Anna Sophia Robb as Elon Musk
- Scarlett Estevez as Young Elon Musk
- Nicolas Cage as P.T.S.D. Boomer, Pete Tiberius Strokeus Dick Dick Dickman Baby Boomer is the main antagonist who wants to get revenge on Bernie Sanders for marrying Elon Musk. Boomer wants to destroy Lady along with Diesel 10, so they can take over the whole Thomas & Friends universe.
- Jim Carrey as Young Boomer
- Owen Wilder as Patchy the Pirate
- Ewan McGregor as Adult Patchy the Pirate
- Jennifer Lawrence as Gavin and Stacy? Fuck off.
- Jeff Bridges as Billy Bob Tanley
- Drew Barrymore as Mrs. J. Jonah Jameson
- Brian Blessed as Sir Topham Hatt
- Hayden Rolence as Bernie Sanders, Jr.
- Grant McDonald and the Eighteen Naked Cowboys in the Showers at Ram Ranch as Thomas's Cowboy Firemen and Driver
There are some cameo appearances in the film like:
- Alexander Gould as Newspaper Delivery Boy
- John Bellis as Shining Time Firefighter
- Robert Zemeckis as Himself (He appears in a mid-credits scene along with Britt Allcroft to tell the audience that he and Britt hoped the audience enjoyed the movie)
- Britt Allcroft as Herself (She appears in a mid-credits scene along with Robert Zemeckis to tell the audience that she and Zemeckis hoped the audience enjoyed the movie)
- Stephen Fry as Storyteller (He appears in a scene where he tell stories about Thomas and his friends in the Island of Sodor to the children)
- Doug Walker as Himself (He makes a cameo appearance when he was late for his train)
Voice actors of animated characters
- USA Actor: Joseph May as Thomas (American Release of The Movie), A Main Protagonist
- UK Actor: John Hasler as Thomas (International Release of The Movie)
- USA Actor: William Hope as Edward and Toby (American Release of The Movie)
- Keith Wickham As Edward, Henry, Gordon and James (International Release of The Movie)
- Martin Sherman as Percy (American Release of The Movie)
- Idina Menzel as Lady
- Kerry Shale as Gordon & Henry
- Rob Rackstraw as James (American Release of The Movie)
- Rackstraw also as James and Toby (International Release of the Movie)
- Keith Wickham as Skarloey and Sir Handel
- John Hasler as Rheneas
- Steven Kynman as Peter Sam and Duck
- Tom Stourton as Duncan
- Michael Brandon as Fearless Freddie
- Brock Baker and Donovan Patton as Mighty Mac
- Jim Carrey as Duke
- Owen Wilson as Ivo Hugh
- Jules de Jongh as Emily
- Nigel Pilkington as Percy (International Release of The Movie)
- Nicola Stapleton as Rosie
- Teresa Gallagher as Mavis
- Matt Wilkinson as Diesel 10 and Rusty, Diesel 10 is the secondary antagonist who was been hired by Sir Topham Hatt but he have an aggressive behavior and he was going to destroy Lady, Rusty is an friend of Thomas.
- Thomas F Wilson as Splatter
- Billy West as Dodge
- Michael Brandon as Diesel
- Kerry Shale and William Hope as Arry and Bert
- Keith Wickham as Norman
- Steven Kynman as Paxton
- Bob Golding as Sidney
- Kevin Frank as Bertie the Bus and Harold the Helicopter
- Teresa Gallagher as Annie and Clarabelle
- Tom Hanks as George the Steamroller and Tumbleweed
- Glenn Wrage as Cranky the Crane
- Christopher Ragland, Tom Kenny, Nathan Lane, Jack Black (Also Voicing Henry), and Will Ferrell as Troublesome Trucks
- Tom Kenny as The Bluebird, Lily's inanimate toy bluebird who came to life as a CGI animated talking bluebird by Bernie Sanders and Lil Peep using the magical gold dust on that bluebird.
- Maggie Ollerenshaw as Henrietta
Characters That Makes Cameos that Don't Speak
- Roger Rabbit, Jessica Rabbit, and Benny the Cab from Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
- Marty McFly from Back from the Future
- Hero Boy (Chris) from The Polar Express as a Man
In 2003, 3 years after the original film became a box-office failure, Britt Allcroft, creator of Thomas & Friends, has been resigned from her original company which was now known as "Gullane Entertainment". After HiT Entertainment took control on Thomas & Friends, HiT revealed that its theatrical division would be piloted by a "Thomas" film. Originally targeted for late-2010 release, in September 2009 this was revised to "Spring 2011".
As of January 2011, the release date had been pushed back further to 2012 and the name of the production had still not been announced. The initial draft of the script was written by Josh Klausner who has also said that the film will be set around the times of World War II, Will McRobb and Chris Viscardi also helped write the script. On 8 June 2011, Deadline announced that 9 director Shane Acker will direct the live-action adaptation of Thomas the Tank Engine, with Weta Digital designing the film's visual effects.
Since then, no actual production has been announced, until Robert Zemeckis came in and remake the original "Thomas and the Magic Railroad" film, along with Britt Allcroft, to bring in new actors to play the characters from the original "Thomas and the Magic Railroad" film (except Alec Baldwin, in which he will reprise his role as Mr. Fietsopa), announce the film on November 25th 2016, new voice actors to play the animated Thomas & Friends characters, video editing and restoration, audio mastering, mixing, recording, and editing, CGI animation for the "Island of Sodor" segments, blue-screen and green-screen effects for the "Island of Sodor" segments, new visual effects, and some brand new music, along with the original music from the original "Thomas and the Magic Railroad" film.
While the film is on development, Robert Zemeckis hired Alec Baldwin who previously played as Mr. Fietsopa in the original 2000 film, so Baldwin agreed to reprise his role.
It was Filmed in New Jersey in The Live Action Scenes, Because a Red Station was There that Looks like Shining Time Station https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Historic_train_station_building,_Red_Bank,_NJ.jpg
The Animation From "Big World Big Adventures" (2018) Was Used (Because It was Shiny and Looking Colorful), But the Movements in Most Scenes are a Little More Smoother and More Realistic.
"Industrial Light and Magic" Made the Effects for "The Magic Railroad" (Railroad) and Magic Sparks in Every Scene that Involves Sparks.
In June 11 2016, Randy Newman was Picked to Score this Film, But He Did not Have Time, Since He Had to Score "Little Einsteins in Japan" (2004), So, In March 5 2017, John Debney Decided that He Can Score the Movie Instead of Randy Newman, John Debney Started Working on It on April 13 2019 and Will Most Likely Finish on September 15 2019, On June 12th 2020, It was confirmed that John Debney will take charge of the music scores movie while The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra performs.
Thomas and the Magic Railroad is set to release into theaters on September 1, 2020 worldwide.
Thomas and the Magic Railroad will also be releasing on DVD, Blu-ray, and Blu-ray 3D in September 2020 with a new DVD and Blu-ray release for the director's cut version of the original 2000 film. Along with the 2020 remake film and the 2000 film's director's cut version is the Shining Time Station Volumes 1, 2, and 3 on DVD and Blu-ray.
The 2020 remake of "Thomas and the Magic Railroad" has four CGI shorts which was the recreation of well-known episodes from the original television series like Thomas and Bertie, Thomas Goes Fishing, Thomas and Gordon and Down the Mine by HiT Entertainment in theatrical releases and on DVD and Blu-ray.
About a few weeks later after the film's release, Bachmann Industries released a model of Shining Time Station and even the Island of Sodor along with train models of Thomas, Lady, and Diesel 10 and some human models of Bernie Sanders, Lily, Mr. Fietsopa, and P.T.S.D. Boomer.
[When the film is done development]
- Main article: Thomas and the Magic Railroad (2020 remake film)/Soundtrack
- (Release on September 13, 2020)
One year after the movie's release, the film will be adapted into a Broadway musical based on the movie titled Thomas and the Magic Railroad: The Musical.
- Main article: Thomas and the Magic Railroad: The Musical
Possible 4-D Experience
After the Box office success & Awards, To celebrate 75 Years of "Thomas & Friends", Britt Allcroft had an idea for a 4-D Experience of the film set for a release from June 6 2019 to June 17th 2022, The 4-D Experience might be announced between June 15nd or July 22th 2014.
DVD or Blu-Ray Main Menu
Here's is the sections from the DVD and Blu-Ray main menus.
- Play Movie
- Scene Selection
- Opening Titles/Meet Thomas
- Lily in the Big City
- Boomer's Return
- Diesel 10 Bothers the Steam Engines
- Splatter & Dodge
- Mr. Fietsopa
- The Legend
- Sir Topham Hatt's Orders
- Sugar in a Diesel Tank
- Burnett meets Boomer
- "I Know How the Moon Must Feel"
- "Where is the windmill?"
- George the Steamroller
- Calling Junior
- Lily Arrives at Shining Time
- Mr. Fietsopa Has Another Bad Dream
- Boomer and Burnett at the Crossroads
- Sounds of Lady's Magic
- Mavis Betrays the Mean Diesels/Delayed
- "Really Useful Engine"
- Mr. Fietsopa in Diesel's Clutches
- The Clue
- Traveling to the Island of Sodor
- Lily Meets Thomas
- Family Reunion
- Landing into Trouble
- Mr. Fietsopa and Lily
- The Truth About Lady
- Solving Some Mysteries
- Looking for Lily's Grandfather
- "It's Now or Never!"
- George Quits the Evil Diesel Team
- Green for Glory
- The Train Chase to the Viaduct
- "Gold Dust!!!"
- 20 Years into the Future
- Curtain Call
- Closing Credits
- Set Up
- French (Thomas et le Magie Ferroviaire)
- Spanish (Thomas y el Ferrocarril Mágico)
- Portuguese (Thomas e a Ferrovia Mágica)
- German (Thomas die kleine Lokomotive: Die Magische Eisenbahn; title translated in English as Thomas the Tank Engine: The Magic Railroad)
- Hungarian (Thomas és a Mágikus Vasút)
- Danish (Thomas og det Magic Railroad)
- Norwegian (Thomas og den Magiske Jernbanen)
- Swedish (Thomas och den Magiska Järnvägen)
- Italian (Thomas e Magica Ferrovia)
- Polish (Thomas i Magiczna Kolejowy)
- Japanese (きかんしゃトーマス魔法の線路)
- Korean (토마스와 마법의 철도)
- Greek (Θωμάς και το Μαγεία Σιδηροδρομικές)
- Thai (โทมัสและเวทมนตร์ของทางรถไฟ)
- Commentaries with Britt Allcroft and Robert Zemeckis (with or without subtitles)
- Special Features
- The History of Thomas the Tank Engine
- History of Thomas & Friends
- Making of Thomas and the Magic Railroad (2000)
- The P.T.S.D. Boomer scenes, featuring Lennox family and Nicolas Cage.
- Deleted scenes
- Artwork design
- Thomas and Bertie, Thomas Goes Fishing and The Spotless Record computer-animated remake short films
- Teaser trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztd19sry2HM
- The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland
[When the film is done development]
The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported a 99% approval rating with an average rating of 9/10 based on 260 reviews. The website's consensus reads, "An old timer film that it was very bad on 2000 so now it was back on the rail to make it better." On Metacritic, the film achieved an average score of 97 out of 100 based on 39 reviews, signifying "universal acclaim".
CinemaScore reported that audiences gave the film a rare "A-" grade. Some of the critics and moviegoers had praised Nicolas Cage's performance of the character Boomer, The New York Times reviewed his performance "When the infamous actor used to make an appearance in any movie like The Wicker Man until it has been flopped, but his performance that he did was the main antagonist P.T.S.D. Boomer in the remake from the original 2000 film Thomas and the Magic Railroad where Boomer is very envious that he has nothing to get on his way, which is the most great performance I have ever seen".
It Had a 8.3/10 on IMDB
IGN game the film a grade of 9.8/10 (Amazing).
[More coming soon!]
Since the 2019 Thomas and the Magic Railroad reboot released into theaters, and had received universal acclaim, won a truckload of awards, and was a huge box-office success, Robert Zemeckis & Britt Allcroft are thinking about turning the whole film into an all-new theatrical Thomas & Friends movie franchise that was also related to the original Thomas & Friends franchise. This franchise was known as Thomas & Friends Cinematic Universe. Since the franchise was born, Britt Allcroft was developing a sequel to the 2019 TATMR reboot, the sequel doesn't have the official title yet.
The film might be released on June 15 2022, with the script being written by Keith Lango, Tim Hodge, and Britt Allcroft, who will also return as director and producer. Robert Zemeckis, who might have been interested since he previously worked on The Polar Express in 2004, will return as director of the sequel, Or it Might be a Different Sequel about Something Different.
- This film has been used on the 2000 film that it was edited because this film was too scary for young audiences which the true main villain P.T.S.D. Boomer was cut, so in the 2019 film it still has P.T.S.D. Boomer. This is likely of the film is rated PG instead of the G rating the original 2000 version had.
- It also has George in the film which in the 2000 film he's omitted.
- Plus the other engines from the television series in the story.
- Special thanks to Britt Allcroft for the four parts of the script from the 2000 film with all the characters and even too Eddie Kennedy in fan-fiction of the plot.
- This is the second theatrical Thomas the Tank Engine film ever created.
- The moment when the cartoon Weta uses a rope to flip to the next page is a reference to the scene when 5 members of Plankton's family used ropes to pull the door to the fake Krabby Patty Secret Formula in the Spongebob Squarepants episode "Plankton's Army"
- Doug Walker (who play as the Nostalgia Critic) was his second appearance in the film, his first role is the Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie, which Britt Allcroft find it really great of his performance from the Nostalgia Critic's review of her first film, even though it wasn't as successful as the other Thomas & Friends films which are now currently direct-to-video films and/or TV specials at the time being.
- Paola Turci Bambini Was Gonna Compose this Film, But He Had to Compose "Harry & Friends The Movie", So scored the movie together.
- This film runs for 2 hours and 17 minutes.
- The bouncing from "Journey Beyond Sodor" will not be in this movie.
- The Wilhelm Scream will Appear in this Movie.
- The Main Protagonists are Thomas and Lil Peep
- The First Teaser will Be Released on Some Screenings of "Equestria Girls at the Magic Gold Dust" (2008)
- DVD/Blu Ray/3D Blu Ray Release: June 16 2019
- The song used for most trailers is this --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv9OOOT4GV0
- Opening logos for the movie:
- USA: Paramount Pictures & Legendary Pictures.
- International: Sony, Columbia Pictures & Paramount Pictures.
- Australia: Sony, Columbia Pictures & Village Roadshow Pictures.
- Canada: Paramount Pictures, Warner Bros. Pictures & Castle Rock Entertainment.
- Japan: Warner Bros. Pictures, Castle Rock Entertainment & Shangri-La Entertainment.
- Some other countries: Paramount, Castle Rock Entertainment & Shangri-La Entertainment.
- This film marks the most successful film of:
- The most successful Paramount/Sony/Columbia animated movie
- The most successful 2010s animated movie
- In Japan/Canada, The most successful Warner Bros. live action movie
- The most successful Robert Zemeckis animated/ImageMovers film